Coffee Date | Teen Ink

Coffee Date

I sat at the table overlooking times square doing my best to keep my calm. I had been waiting and waiting and waiting to see her. My heart beat pounded in my chest and I looked at the clock,
Okay it’s two fifteen and thirty nine seconds which means it has been fifteen seconds since the last time and another 261 seconds until she said she would be here. Why does she always take so long? Does she really feel like it’s necessary to torture me like this? I took another sip of my now lukewarm coffee and tried to calm myself down. If she sees me looking like this what would she think? What do the other people in this place think, why do I give a s*** about them, I don’t all I care about is her and she’s taking too goddamn long!

Okay, now it’s two seventeen and forty nine seconds so there is that, at least I know for sure that time is actually moving even though I feel like it has slowed down to the point where I can distinguish one minute from one hour from one day. How long have I been sitting here waiting?

I finish of the last bit of my coffee and turn around to throw my cup out when I see her.
“Finally, Sarah it has taken you long enough” I say inside my head because I would never dare say something like that to her.
“ I’m glad to see you, but before you start I have to say something really important” She says to me.
“What is it?”
“I think we should break up”.
F***.