What if we left it all behind? | Teen Ink

What if we left it all behind?

By WhatWeNeverWere BRONZE, Mount Pleasant, South Carolina
WhatWeNeverWere BRONZE, Mount Pleasant, South Carolina
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

“I guess by now I should know enough about loss to realize that you never really stop missing someone-you just learn to live around the huge gaping hole of their absence.”
― Alyson Noel, Evermore

What if we just left all the hatred behind?
What if we found a little town, so unlike our own, where no one would ever think to find us?
What if we stayed there, in that foreign place, all alone together, just us against the world?
What if the wounds we inflicted on each other for all these years went away under the bluer skies we would find there?
What if all these times we fight are forgotten while away from all the lights and bustle of this terrible place that we still call home?
What if we were like we were before, when we were just the stupid teenagers? Just ignorant these kids who could never fall out of the sky, that’s how high they were flying?
And in that little town so unlike ours what if we fell in love all over again?
What if all the things that have pushed us apart in the past are the very things that will grow us together now?
What if all those things our parents warned us about really weren’t true, just like we thought such a short time ago?
What if I didn’t ask you to leave?
What if I wasn’t trying to distance myself from you forever?
What if I wasn’t asking you to do the same?
What if we made it past the would-be-innocent age of 25 together?
What if we decided to stop all this back and forth and became a team again?
What if we left it all behind?
And in that little town, so unlike our own, we fell in love again?