At That Moment | Teen Ink

At That Moment

By Amberbrown BRONZE, Kennesaw, Georgia
Amberbrown BRONZE, Kennesaw, Georgia

"Everyone is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will go its whole life thinking it's stupid."
-Albert Einstein

It was a tearful day for all. Everyone was dressed formally for the upcoming ceremony old as time itself. The organ played an interminable tune, as if to play for all eternity. No one expected her to live. After all, the car crash was pretty severe. The whole room went quiet, and the organ stopped its playing. The church doors swung open.

Lydia Ross liked to think of herself as normal. Every day, she went to school, did homework, and was constantly helping her 28 year-old find the perfect outfit. She had friends, and was one of the smartest kids in her class. In her mind, she was decently normal.

Looking up from her lavender-colored journal, she gazed out her window to see Amelia, her sister, leaving in her car. Lydia knew Amelia was only visiting to discuss wedding plans. Now, she was off to pick up her dress.

Amelia’s groom to be was a polite man, with brown hair and eyes the color of hot cocoa on a frigid winter day. His name was Steven Johnson. He was like a brother to Lydia, taking her out for ice cream every other Friday.

The clock’s loud chime disturbed Lydia’s thoughts. She stretched like a cat after a long nap, and released herself from the chair’s grip. Strolling down to get a snack, she picked up backpack. She was going to multitask.

Quietly, not to disturb her mother working on the computer in the next room, she unzipped her backpack and pulled out her books.

Lydia snapped her fingers in disappointment; she forgot her math book at school! Pacing and realizing this was problem, she began to conjure up some ideas. Deciding to meander to school, despite the fact that it had begun to get dark, she grabbed her coat and opened the door to the autumn evening.

Lydia was welcomed by the warm colors of fall on the ground and trees. The orange-ish haze of the almost dark sky greeted her as she continued on her way. Little did she know, there was a distracted driver silently whipping around the corner.

The birds stopped chirping. The leaves stopped rustling. The world went mute as a rippling shriek echoed across the streets.

Mrs. Ross sat calmly, tapping away on the keyboard. Being the mother of two, she constantly had to work and clean. She sighed, observing her computer screen. Sometimes, she just wished her life would be easier.

An unexpected call brought Mrs. Ross back to reality like a slap in the face. Groaning, she clutched the device and pressed “talk”.

“Hello?” Mrs. Ross inquired of the anonymous caller. By the tone, she concluded that it was a man.

“Is this Ruth Ross?” He questioned.

Ruth nodded, then realized the caller couldn’t see her.

“Yes,” she replied.

“Mrs. Ross, it’s your daughter, Lydia. There was an accident…”

An inaudible gasp was unheard to the caller as Mrs. Ross let go of the phone, allowing it to drop on the floor in dead silence.

It was a tearful day for all. Mrs. Ross sat in the first pew, crying a waterfall. Losing a daughter so soon was a bit hard on her. Others had gathered as well, close friends and family, to join in the upcoming event.

Everyone watched as Steven stood at the altar. The church doors swung open to reveal a gorgeous Amelia floating down the aisle, accompanied by flower girls. She joined her groom and they began their vows.

Lydia sat in the front row. Because of her injuries, she could not participate in the wedding. No one expected her live, but she did anyway. No one had ever been so thankful for paramedics.

The new Mrs. Johnson smiled at Lydia, knowing everything would be alright.

I actually had to write this for a school progect. I was inspired by my best friend who gave me the idea. I hope this story teaches you that not everything is as it seems.