When I Was Unbroken... | Teen Ink

When I Was Unbroken...

By forever.young.97 BRONZE, Richmond Hill, Other
forever.young.97 BRONZE, Richmond Hill, Other

Once you know how it feels to be happy, you won't tolerate being around someone who makes you feel anything less.

Back when I was a normal girl with friends and Aeropostale clothes, I used to like myself. I took bites of bread and butter and didn't think about the caloric amount. I'd eat snacks worth 100 calories and think it was nothing. I ate granola bars and thinsation oreos like they were going out of style. I used to be a size small at Aeropostale, but I'd often get a medium anyway. Back then I thought it was normal, and any girl who was getting an extra small or a small, I just didn't care. I was glad to be myself. I got my shorts a size 1. I always said it was for length, since I was 5'3. It never really bothered me that I wasn't a 00.
Laughing with my friends at lunch one day, I took a big bite of my bread with butter.
"How could that be all you have on it?! Butter?!" Mary Brian picked up the bread and tossed it down again. I giggled. Aria threw her head back in laughter and kept eating her Crispy's. Lindzi was laughing too, pushing back her blonde curls.
"That's all I like!" I shoved the last bit into my mouth.
"Butter has a lot of calories though!" Mary Brian said, matter-of-factly. I stared down at my stomach in my uniform shirt. Now that I look back, I wasn't as fat as I thought, and I was eating way more then now.
"I can afford it." I shrugged. I oulled open my thinsations. "Want one?" I held open the bag to my friends who each had one. I tossed it out after finishing like it was nothing.

My friends and family would have never expected that within a year I would be caught in an eating disorder.

At 2:15 it was snack time. Doesn't that sound childish? Trust me, it's not really. We were eighth graders, after all. It was more like 'have a snack if you choose to. You've got two minutes until the recess bell.' I went to my bag, laughin along with Jay (fling count: 4) and Luke (fling count: more than I remember.) At my bag I was exchanging flirty looks with Luke.
"Want half?" I gestured to Savannah on my other side. She shook her head.
"Can't afford the calories." I paused. Savannah was one of the tiniest girls I knew. I stared down at my thighs and put the granola bar back in my bag.
"Yeah me either. That's why I was offering." I shrugged.

Recess came next. I saw HIM. Austin. (fling count: who knows) And for the next fifteen minutes, it was the same cycle that happened every recess, every day. Flirt, yell hit, slap, scream, make up, hug, repeat. I broke his heart so now he was doing his best to keep breaking mine. Day after day. I wasn't good enough. He said it was MY FAULT. I guess maybe it was. He went from liking me to hating me on a daily basis. I didn't blame him though. I was starting to hate me too.