Letter to a Former Friend | Teen Ink

Letter to a Former Friend

By EricaPersoluta SILVER, Wexford, Pennsylvania
EricaPersoluta SILVER, Wexford, Pennsylvania

“To the world you may be just one person, but to one person you may be the world.\\\"

Dear Ally,

I’ve tried to start this letter multiple times, but no matter how I start it, I can’t seem to find a beginning to soften the blow of its message. To put it plain and simple, I think it’s best for the both of us to grow apart and make different friends. There’s really no friendship left between the two of us at this point, and all I have left to owe you if anything is probably just an explanation, so here it goes.

The biggest reason I think it’s best to drift apart is because we’re just interested in different things. Most of what you cackle about I don’t really find humorous; that doesn’t mean I don’t think you’re funny, just that I have a different outlook than you. I especially don’t find it funny how you were trying to get in my backpack and my locker, and I don’t appreciate having to lug a few more pounds with me the rest of the day to ensure that you don’t get my combination. Even though you constantly say you don’t care about trying to hack my locker, your actions and attitude seem to disagree.

That’s another thing: you constantly say one thing and mean another. Our relationship is just so confusing that it’s really not worth pursuing anymore, and every time you tell me something, I hear a different version from Lea or Dylan or even you later in the day. You’ve been more confusing this month than the past couple when you kept changing your story about your “problems”. It’s just hard to keep up and have a conversation with you when half of what you say is extremely exaggerated or merely fictional.

There’s really not much more to say other than that we haven’t really been acting like friends. I appreciate how you decorated my locker for my birthday, but that’s pretty much the last friendly thing you did for me and that was a few months ago. I know you’ve been having a tough time, but that’s not an excuse for you to constantly snap at me, make fun of me, and laugh at me. I can say with almost utmost certainty that this is bullying, so far from friendship that for once, Ally, it’s not laughable.

I don’t know why you made me your own personal clown or why you so much enjoyed watching me look like a fool or sink deeper into depression, but congrats, you finally got to me. I hope our friendship was worth it.

Bye,

Erica

I was going to give this to a friend (now former friend) when she was kind of bullying me but never did. I changed all the names in it and figured I might as well submit it. It goes along with and was written at the same time as my first article “So Who is Her Savior?” I would really appreciate any feedback, even criticism. I would also appreciate if the criticism is constructive, but I guess beggars can’t be choosers!

rentmt6294 said...
on Nov. 5 2018 at 10:04 am
rentmt6294, Oshkosh, Wisconsin
Great article!!!