The Thread This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

The knitting club meets at the women’s center every ­Friday. Today they are working on ­pastel-colored baby socks.

The women clink metal needles and grumble about their husbands, ex-husbands, and rheumatic pets.

“Charlie forgot to take out the recycling yesterday. The trash man had to come into my house because I have such a cold, and he smelled like stale beer.”

The lady with silvery hair draws the curtains ­embroidered with peacocks. Pale light floods the cream-wallpapered parlor.

“The sky looks like rain. Maybe we’ll get a ­thunderstorm if the wind picks up. I’m terrified of storms at night – when the sky bursts like a Polaroid camera.”

The lady who likes to knit in yellow brings in her record player every week. She plays vinyl recordings of Chopin, Dizzy Gillespie, and during the winter, Dean Martin’s Christmas carols.

“This week we have Chopin’s Concerto No. 2, but there’s a scratch right after the first movement.”

They sip black-as-shoe-polish coffee from tiny porcelain cups until their tight buns uncoil into soft, ash-colored curls.

“It’s too weak today. Too watery.”

The lady with silvery hair pulls out twisted strands from her scalp and weaves them into each row of the sock pattern.

“I want my grandbaby to know what I smelled like when I’m gone.”

gymbabe This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jun. 23, 2010 at 7:26 am:

This was really great, very well-written, sweet.  I love the last sentence.  Awesome job.

Btw, will you check out and comment on my work?

BookOwl This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jun. 1, 2010 at 3:16 pm:
I agree with hanfan. I like how each women has sort of a personality and a way of speaking. Love it.

hanfan24 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
May 10, 2010 at 12:34 pm:
This is great and so unique-it doesn't have a begginning or an end, its just kind of in the middle.  I love it!

Nerdygal19This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
May 19, 2011 at 5:59 pm :
Excellent point! It was very interesting! Beautifully written!

Charlotte_Bukowski said...
Mar. 28, 2010 at 9:35 pm:

You know, everyone posts these stories with so called "beginnings" and "ends" and then place meaning and plot into the middle somewhere. The reason I like this kind of short story is because, on the first glance and first time upon reading it, it seems to have no meaning. You walk away from it thinking to yourself, "What's the point?" But there is none for the general public. Each individual assigns their own meaning, just as the author most likely has theirs. 

Really great work. ... (more »)

Lizzy_Barnett This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Jan. 7, 2011 at 5:43 pm :
That's a really good point.  I wondered what it was about too, but now that I think about it, I'll remember this story because of it's different feel.  The drifting isn't so much aimless, as it is relaxed.  Very much like knitting.  :)

writergirl13 said...
Mar. 27, 2010 at 2:01 pm:
idk, i like it, but i kind of feel like it's missing something. but it's still a good piece!

1Corinthians13:4_8 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Mar. 27, 2010 at 2:23 pm :
i know what you mean. it is missing something. I think she has good discriptive words though. right now the story is good but it's needs something else to make it a great story. i don't even really get it after i read it like 20 times.

thetiedyecrayon replied...
May 13, 2010 at 7:00 am :
I don't know if you're really supposed to "get" it. I think you have to just look at it and figure it out on your own, kind of a personal thing. It's not one of those stories where you can just read it and understand it.

Carter G replied...
Jun. 23, 2010 at 7:52 pm :
I agree with writergirl13. It's a good piece, but it feels like there's something missing...

thetiedyecrayon replied...
Jun. 23, 2010 at 7:55 pm :
I'm not trying to pick on you or anything, (writergirl13, 1Corinthians13:4_8, and/or Carter G) but maybe the writer doesn't want you to fully understand the story. Maybe it's just that he/she wanted to tell you not to forget your children and their children.

writergirl13 replied...
Jun. 28, 2010 at 9:12 am :
That is precisely why i said it's a good piece, because it tells you one specific thing: don't foget your children. However, I also think that the piece would just be slightly more...what's the word... appealing to the reader if there was just that little something to compliment the theme. As i said, it's still a very good jpiece!

joywriter18 said...
Mar. 27, 2010 at 8:45 am:
it's not an incredibly written piece, but the last line is what makes it work. 

MiniPirate replied...
Mar. 27, 2010 at 8:24 pm :
I think it was written very well. Sparing and simple. But the last line does make the whole thing click.

logo24 said...
Feb. 11, 2010 at 3:48 pm:
I know I will think about this for days now. Thanks.

amber96_ said...
Feb. 11, 2010 at 3:27 pm:
so what i'm saying is: IT WAS REALLY GOOD. it really makes you think which i love :) Probably my second favourite on teenink ;D

amber96_ said...
Feb. 11, 2010 at 3:25 pm:
short and simple which i really like :) i was really excited to get to the end and see what the moral of the story was. And the last line really makes you think.. It was reeeaaalllly eery but nice.

Tim-.- said...
This is a very... developed taste you could say it. The entire thing is useless, except the last line, which is the meaningful punch in an otherwise useless script. In my opinion anyhow. Keep on writing :D

PurpleMidnight said...
This piece is one of the best I've ever read on the site! The simplicity is amazing, like an E ringing on a tuning fork. You have a very rare talent. Never stop writing.

T3on0y replied...
Jan. 20, 2010 at 1:23 pm :
the most deprsing thing ive ever heard