The Thread This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

The knitting club meets at the women’s center every ­Friday. Today they are working on ­pastel-colored baby socks.

The women clink metal needles and grumble about their husbands, ex-husbands, and rheumatic pets.

“Charlie forgot to take out the recycling yesterday. The trash man had to come into my house because I have such a cold, and he smelled like stale beer.”

The lady with silvery hair draws the curtains ­embroidered with peacocks. Pale light floods the cream-wallpapered parlor.

“The sky looks like rain. Maybe we’ll get a ­thunderstorm if the wind picks up. I’m terrified of storms at night – when the sky bursts like a Polaroid camera.”

The lady who likes to knit in yellow brings in her record player every week. She plays vinyl recordings of Chopin, Dizzy Gillespie, and during the winter, Dean Martin’s Christmas carols.

“This week we have Chopin’s Concerto No. 2, but there’s a scratch right after the first movement.”

They sip black-as-shoe-polish coffee from tiny porcelain cups until their tight buns uncoil into soft, ash-colored curls.

“It’s too weak today. Too watery.”

The lady with silvery hair pulls out twisted strands from her scalp and weaves them into each row of the sock pattern.

“I want my grandbaby to know what I smelled like when I’m gone.”

SuhaimaThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Apr. 5 at 5:02 pm
Pulled it together, much like a thread. haha. 

jailene said...
The ending gets you thinking. I love it!

NerdGirl said...
Oct. 28, 2012 at 8:02 am
I went into the story not expecting to like it, but you really took me by surprise. It was really touching.

KnitsandPurls said...
So glad you got published for this! I have never read anything that deserves it more!

Imaginedangerous This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This is quiet and yet full of emotion- I love how understated everything is. The last line is beautiful.

Trixy14 said...
I can tell that you really know what you're doing. You put effort into it.  This story is short yet simple and thought-provoking. Truly inspiring.

awensman95 said...
Your imagery and wording is awesome! 

zadiekatie23 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
The conciseness of this made it enjoyable to read. It's always funny to hear grumbling old people, even if it's on paper(or screen). I thought the last line was sad, but it did pull it together. Thanks!

Pumpkinscout said...
Cool! I don't know how people manage to get so much into so few words, I always have trouble saying what I want to in 1000 words for contests! The last line is both scary and thought-provoking. Wow. Great job.

xxEbonyxx said...
This was a very good article. I have to say, I creeped me out a bit, but that's the best part.

LiveInTheMoment said...
It was a cute article. I just wish you could focus more on one grandma. Maybe you could say that one of them was different. One of them didn't complain, just concentrated on her knitting. That would help the reader connect with the characters more. But otherwise, it was a beautifully written piece. Very refreshing, and a unique topic. Hope to hear more from you! 8)

Krikette This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...

"Very refreshing, unique topic". I agree. 

Well written over all. The last two lines are especially poignant.

HollyC said...
Feb. 20, 2011 at 10:57 am
This story doesn't conform to the normal layout which makes it really refreshing. I like how you've played on the old women knitting and moaning theme, it made me laugh. It's short and simple and made me smile at the end. This story shouldn't really work, it amazingly does though. Woah, well done.

Macx14 said...
Sept. 19, 2010 at 10:42 am
This is so sad and beautiful, I just love it!!Check out some of my writing if you have time!

Meli14 replied...
Nov. 24, 2010 at 1:46 am
I Am Free Read please!Rate thanks(:

coly33 said...

aww i love the last line i wasnt expecting that when i was reading the other parts it was just refreshing to read this and also very sad

:)

RhiannonB replied...
I agree. The author knows how to add the unexpected. Very nice piece.

i_am_nobody said...
Jul. 15, 2010 at 11:16 am
that little bit at the end was a little creepy but still pretty good

Erudite said...
amazing, it really touched me

Smoothieheart said...
Awwwn! that had great writing, and I liked all the details