Who I Am Chapter 5 | Teen Ink

Who I Am Chapter 5

July 24, 2012
By wolfwriter SILVER, Middletown, Connecticut
wolfwriter SILVER, Middletown, Connecticut
6 articles 1 photo 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"All the world's a play and you may contribute a verse. What will your verse be?" -Professor Keating, Dead Poets Society. (Robin Williams)


Note: [b]...[/b] means the words are bold.

Chapter 5:Lilith

"I'm home!" I called out as I entered the house. (Actually, it wasn't even a house. It was an apartment complex with three others in the same block of building.) There was only silence. I sighed as I dumped my bag next to the door and went to the shoebox kitchen. I grabbed a box of crackers, a package of sliced pepperoni, a block of cheese, a knife, and a plate. With everything loaded up, I started to go to my room, after grabbing my bag.

I stopped as I saw a note tapped to the end of the stair-rail.

[b]Will be at work until eight, then have classes 'til twelve. Won't be home 'til around one. No eating in your room and get your homework done.

-Mom[/b]

I scoffed and continued to my room, food and all. Once inside, I dropped my bag next to the door, placed all the food on the desk, and plugged my mp3 into some speakers. As the music played, I made my snack and pulled out a worn sketch-book and pencil.

I started drawing a bunch of lines and curves, not really thinking of anything. I watched as the lines formed a cheek, a chin, an ear, big round eyes, a little button-nose, cute, full lips, short flippy hair, and- I stopped as I realized I now had Jinx staring up at me from the paper. I cursed and promptly closed the book, shoving it up into a shelf.

It wouldn't be good to have her in any form in this house. No doubt she had very-happily-married parents and one or two siblings and a comfortable income in her house. Nothing like here. I had a single mom who was a mere sixteen years older than me, working as a waitress and taking night classes to get her G.E.D. I had a part-time job at a cafe in town, and between our two checks, we did okay on rent, bills, and car gas. Food stamps got us food and financial need got us a major discount on oil during the winter. I was on the poorer side of the train tracks while, no doubt, Jinx was much better off.

And never the twain shall meet.

Heavy sigh. Oh, well. Doubtful, depressing thoughts aside, there was still one big thing I had to do with Jinx before anything else: find out if she was straight or not.


The author's comments:
I'm sorry about the letters with the brackets. It's because I'm copying and pasting the story from my other writing site and that's how I make the words bold, underlined, or italicized. Please comment!!!!