I want to go home.

My hands cover my ears and I crouch in a corner, explosions seem to come from everywhere, people scream, I squeeze my eyes close, and bite my lip, trying to keep the screams from leaping out my throat. My shoulder moves, someone is shaking me, “Sweetie, please, it’s not real, come back.” I hear as if from a distance, and my eyes open, I’m curled up in the corner of my living rom, my wife is shaking me, “Sweetie, it’s OK, you’re safe.” She whispers, there are tears in her eyes, my eyes drift to the ground, I’m breathing hard. “Explosions, we’re not safe here, we have to go!” I exclaim trying to get to my feet, my wife gently pushes me back down, “Finn, honey, we’re fine, we’re safe here sweetie, you’re not in Afghanistan.” She says, she’s about to cry. I shake my head and force myself to stand up, “No, no, there everywhere, you have to watch where you step, we have to go!” I insist, I see fire around us, the explosions must’ve started it, I grab my wife and try to drag her away, “Come!” I order, “Finn, listen to me, it’s not real!” she says pulling back, Please, just sit down, and take a deep breath.” She begs, “No, no!” I yell, I turn and desperately run from the room, out the door, and turn and keep running, I have to, I have to get away from the explosions, the screams, I keep running my vision seems to shift, I see sand, I can’t seem to breath right as I run. Finally I collapse and lean my back against the wall, my chest is heaving. The explosions still boom in the back round, I close my eyes, I just want everything to go away, I want to go home, I want to go home.

1 in 8 of our soldiers come home with PTSD, they can’t leave the war behind them, support our troop, at home and abroad, help our injured soldiers, don’t let them fight alone.

I thank all our past, present, and future fighters, and I pray that they come home safely. If you see a veteran please thank them for serving and remember all that died to protect you, and all soldiers that are injured and hurting.

MossFire said...
Jul. 26, 2012 at 10:25 am
beautifully writen. its so sad. keep writing ur amazing.

Falling.Up. said...
this is sad... i don't want my brother to turn out like this.... but its really good! i mean, keep writing!!!

Proud_To_Be_An_AmericanThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Falling.Up, thank your brother for his service for me, and I hope he doesn't have to go through anything like this too.

Triumph said...
Amazingly written, my cousin was in the Marines this year and we made sure he got all the support he could get. Great job, keep on writing!

Crulz said...
Very well-written I enjoyed how you brought a uselly not identified subject to light with your story.

Thank you for commenting.  And Triumph, please thank your cousin whole heartedly for me, for serving, I appreciate(sp?) what he does very much. 

AngelOnTheATeam replied...
Very well written and creatively done. My uncles in the Air Force. It hits home for a lot of people, not just me.

Lady-Liberty This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
*sniffles* How beautiful.....This shows how much the war vets and their families and friends suffer......My Grandpa is a WWII vet, so he has bouts like these sometimes.

Aug. 27, 2012 at 11:10 am
Phantom, and Liberty, thank your family members for their service for me please!!!