I want to go home.

My hands cover my ears and I crouch in a corner, explosions seem to come from everywhere, people scream, I squeeze my eyes close, and bite my lip, trying to keep the screams from leaping out my throat. My shoulder moves, someone is shaking me, “Sweetie, please, it’s not real, come back.” I hear as if from a distance, and my eyes open, I’m curled up in the corner of my living rom, my wife is shaking me, “Sweetie, it’s OK, you’re safe.” She whispers, there are tears in her eyes, my eyes drift to the ground, I’m breathing hard. “Explosions, we’re not safe here, we have to go!” I exclaim trying to get to my feet, my wife gently pushes me back down, “Finn, honey, we’re fine, we’re safe here sweetie, you’re not in Afghanistan.” She says, she’s about to cry. I shake my head and force myself to stand up, “No, no, there everywhere, you have to watch where you step, we have to go!” I insist, I see fire around us, the explosions must’ve started it, I grab my wife and try to drag her away, “Come!” I order, “Finn, listen to me, it’s not real!” she says pulling back, Please, just sit down, and take a deep breath.” She begs, “No, no!” I yell, I turn and desperately run from the room, out the door, and turn and keep running, I have to, I have to get away from the explosions, the screams, I keep running my vision seems to shift, I see sand, I can’t seem to breath right as I run. Finally I collapse and lean my back against the wall, my chest is heaving. The explosions still boom in the back round, I close my eyes, I just want everything to go away, I want to go home, I want to go home.

1 in 8 of our soldiers come home with PTSD, they can’t leave the war behind them, support our troop, at home and abroad, help our injured soldiers, don’t let them fight alone.

I thank all our past, present, and future fighters, and I pray that they come home safely. If you see a veteran please thank them for serving and remember all that died to protect you, and all soldiers that are injured and hurting.

ccascq said...
GREAT! 1 thing i saw was back round, if you get published fix to background, just a little help. other than that, GREAT!!

BeautifulImperfections said...
Definitely 5 stars. I had a teacher in the military, and hearing the word bomb always freak him out.

HarryPotterLover30 said...

Wow. Love it. Five stars. I know friends who have family in the military and my dad tolfd me bout this. Good job.

KateyKatThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Aug. 23, 2012 at 9:09 pm :
Coming from a military brat this really moved me. I hope you continue writing awesome pieces like this!

KestrelThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
i like this. almost every male in my family has been to west point, going on to be in the military and serving our country. good job!

Proud_To_Be_An_AmericanThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Aug. 2, 2012 at 4:17 pm :
That's really cool that almost all the guys in your family are Army!! :D :D  Thank your family for me!!!

KestrelThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Aug. 8, 2012 at 6:51 pm :
I will. They'll appreciate it I'm sure. :) 

waterbendercarorainThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jul. 30, 2012 at 1:27 pm:
really creative

Johnny99 said...
Jul. 29, 2012 at 7:14 pm:
That was amazing!

nakubaraThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jul. 29, 2012 at 1:04 pm:

This is aweome! I dont really know what to say. Good job!

@nime.@ngelThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jul. 27, 2012 at 3:25 pm:

i like the story and plot. it would bo nice to descibe where you and to pause i little llike the person is actually saying it

albinotiger said...
Jul. 27, 2012 at 2:57 pm:
This poem speaks the truth!!!! (maybe check out my work sometime)

Varlen-Byrd said...
Jul. 27, 2012 at 12:15 pm:
this was a very importent story to tell. it's very important that we Continue surrport our troops even after they return home.

Hayley567This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jul. 27, 2012 at 11:37 am:
i like this its pretty awesome how you put the visions and stuff in detail and the desperate pleas from the army wife. very good. 

SkylerMorningstar said...
Jul. 26, 2012 at 6:06 pm:
really good proud

Isabelle_ said...
Jul. 26, 2012 at 3:01 pm:
This is such a relevant piece at the moment and I really like the fact that you have addressed an issue many people simply choose to ignore

Hannabug said...
Jul. 26, 2012 at 1:48 pm:
My dad was like this...

Jul. 26, 2012 at 1:53 pm :
I'm sorry Hanna, and I appriecate you're dad's service.

Hannabug replied...
Jul. 26, 2012 at 6:51 pm :
Thanks :) 

AllForOne said...
Jul. 26, 2012 at 12:42 pm:
Never seen someone capture a soldier's experience so well in this concise a manner - well written!