I want to go home.

My hands cover my ears and I crouch in a corner, explosions seem to come from everywhere, people scream, I squeeze my eyes close, and bite my lip, trying to keep the screams from leaping out my throat. My shoulder moves, someone is shaking me, “Sweetie, please, it’s not real, come back.” I hear as if from a distance, and my eyes open, I’m curled up in the corner of my living rom, my wife is shaking me, “Sweetie, it’s OK, you’re safe.” She whispers, there are tears in her eyes, my eyes drift to the ground, I’m breathing hard. “Explosions, we’re not safe here, we have to go!” I exclaim trying to get to my feet, my wife gently pushes me back down, “Finn, honey, we’re fine, we’re safe here sweetie, you’re not in Afghanistan.” She says, she’s about to cry. I shake my head and force myself to stand up, “No, no, there everywhere, you have to watch where you step, we have to go!” I insist, I see fire around us, the explosions must’ve started it, I grab my wife and try to drag her away, “Come!” I order, “Finn, listen to me, it’s not real!” she says pulling back, Please, just sit down, and take a deep breath.” She begs, “No, no!” I yell, I turn and desperately run from the room, out the door, and turn and keep running, I have to, I have to get away from the explosions, the screams, I keep running my vision seems to shift, I see sand, I can’t seem to breath right as I run. Finally I collapse and lean my back against the wall, my chest is heaving. The explosions still boom in the back round, I close my eyes, I just want everything to go away, I want to go home, I want to go home.

1 in 8 of our soldiers come home with PTSD, they can’t leave the war behind them, support our troop, at home and abroad, help our injured soldiers, don’t let them fight alone.

I thank all our past, present, and future fighters, and I pray that they come home safely. If you see a veteran please thank them for serving and remember all that died to protect you, and all soldiers that are injured and hurting.

TypewriterUnicorn said...
May 24 at 4:45 pm:
Extremely powerful. Heartbreaking, but powerful. I enjoyed this one a lot.

Pseudonym329 said...
Jan. 31 at 7:50 pm:
This was heatbreaking. I like the title, but the paragraphs seemed a little long. Sorry, I know I sound so picky, but that's probably about it. I would be honored if you read some of my stories. Thanks if you can, and if you can't (or didn't like them), sorry.

USCG.EagleThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Mar. 29 at 1:47 am :
Thanks, i'll read some of your stories.
Sorry about the paragraph thing..I thought I put them smaller...maybe the formating messed up, probably my mistake though.

Carly_ElizabethThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jan. 12 at 12:11 pm:
I've had family in the army, but they've never made it home to have PTSD, but I do know that what soldiers go through is basically hell and it's all for us. This is a good peice and it's really moving. The only thing I would say is that try: "show not tell". It's something I tell everyone to work on because it is always something people can get better at, myself included. But just try to explain something without saying what's happening. Other than that I love t... (more »)

EvetteT said...
  This is what most veterans go through when they return. Am glad you acknowledged them

Rocky-PattonThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
This is Beautiful!  5 Stars and God Bless America!.

IonDeaThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
This was beautifuly written. I've read a number of war stories, most long winded, and most taking place durring the actual war. This was something different entirly though, because you showed that in a way, the war is never over. You really captured the situation and the emotions behind it perfectly. And the way it switched from the story itself to statistics was genius, and it left me thinking. Absolutly a beautiful piece of work.

IMSteelThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
It's has good imagery, one thing that needs fixing is that you need to indent whenever someone speaks.  Keep writing!

In_Love_with_Writing said...
Wow, this was something else (in a good way). Great job! Can you comment and rate some of my work, please? It would mean a lot!

KimKendrickThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Fantastic, really. It's just so realistic, and sad. I can't imagine that feeling of terror, the inability to escape the horror of war.

jettabugThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This is a beautiful piece. As it very well gets to the point, it is just the right length to make us all stop... and think. I'm going to think about this forever, and the images that you placed in my head are going to stay there like they're smothered in glue. You are an amazing writer. Truly, God bless America!   ~Honor Our Veterans~ Please, RTF, if you don't mind. (Return the favor.)

CammyS said...
This was a very well imagined, desriptive piece. I never really thought about after the war. In fact, I try not to think about it at all. But that's what you made me do- think. Thank you.

Snowflakes said...
This was very emotional to read. It's strange that when we think of the war, we don't consider the affects that those who fought have to suffer.
You captured the feeling extermely well. 
Well done! 

guardianofthestarsThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Gave me goose bumps.  Thank you for sharing the value of our troops through writing. 

Allicat001 said...
This article has a greatly meaningful and important message to it.  I loved the anecdote you wrote at the beginning of the piece and it's very well written over all. Great job!

AsIAm This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Oh. My. Gosh. I love this, love the message, love the directness, love the writing, love the imagery. If it was a little longer I think it would have had enough time to make me start bawling. Totally amazing job.

Queen_Of_Fiction said...
Great job, and a great message. I only spotted a few things, super tiny things that definitely won't affect your rating. One was that you used "there" instead of "they're". The other thing is that you used "OK". In, like, text or any other online chat, it's fine to use "OK" in that format. However, in proper writing, you'll want to spell it out fully (okay). Other than those two things, this was really great writing on your part. C... (more »)

Live-Free-Or-DieThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Sept. 2, 2012 at 3:00 pm :
Thank you, Wafuleez!! I'll work on proofreading better so those mistakes don't come out, and thanks for telling me about the 'okay' thing, I didn't know that.  :D 

youngspeare said...
This is a freaking good piece! It's totally beautiful. All 5 stars..I'm not American but your patriotism is admirable. Hope you make it to the Marine Corps. 
:) 

Sept. 1, 2012 at 12:49 pm :
Aww, thanks, Young! :D  And this doesn't nessicarily have to be about American soliers this is about, soldiers all over the world get PTSD.