Optical Illusion | Teen Ink

Optical Illusion

By jordanmkelly BRONZE, Melbourne, Florida
jordanmkelly BRONZE, Melbourne, Florida

It was like looking at one of those optical illusions. Like the one that sometimes looks like a vase and other times looks like two faces.
We both took a look at it and the first thing we both saw was the vase. But I took a closer look and I also realized the faces were inside the same image. So I pointed them out to you, because they were clearly there, I was not imagining things. But then you told me you didn’t see them. Which was okay. I mean, not all of those brain teasers are simple. In fact, they’re not supposed to be simple.
So I was patient. I laughed it off and I slowly outlined the faces with my finger so you could see them. The noses, the mouths, the whole nine yards. Yet even after that you still didn’t see them.
“Is there something wrong with your eyes?” I asked.
This was frustrating in itself, but what really got to me was that you had the nerve to claim the faces weren’t even there. Just because you didn’t see them doesn’t mean they weren’t there! But then I started to doubt myself. Questioning whether I really did see the faces. And I did, I truly did, but you were so adamant about it I thought maybe you were right.
Have I gone insane? I’ve heard falling in love can do that to you.