NO REGRETS | Teen Ink

NO REGRETS

By kelseyjean13 PLATINUM, Huntertown, Indiana
kelseyjean13 PLATINUM, Huntertown, Indiana

"why wait for the storm to pass when you can dance in the rain"

One boring Tuesday, a couple years ago, I wrote a list. A list of 50 things I want to accomplish in my life time. I had the silly desires, like hugging Taylor Laughtner, kissing a stop sign, and learning how to sing the alphabet backwards. You can’t imagine how happy I was when I got to cross off kissing a stop sign from my list. Every time someone comes into my room they see my list. It is on hot pink paper in the middle of my bulletin board. They see my dreams, my wishes, what I yearn for. They see that I want to kiss someone in the pouring down rain. How I want have someone write a song just for me. They see what I want to do with my life and what I have already accomplished. I want to go to Ireland. I want to have a “Cinderella” moment. I want to write a bestselling book.
I used to hide this list down in the bottom depths of my dresser; never seeing the light, never being spoken out for the world to hear. I have so many dreams. I look up at the hot pink list every night. You can bet I’ll be gazing up at the night sky at 11:11 just hoping for my wishes to come true. I used to be afraid and embarrassed for my friends to see my list. I didn’t want anyone to know what my deepest desires were, that’s personal, you know? But the truth is; I want to scream at the top of a high building. I want to change someone’s life. I want to fall in love. And I don’t care who knows it. I would shout my whole list to the world if it would make them come true. I don’t want to be sixty years old looking back at that too brightly colored paper wondering what went wrong. I want to look back at it, smiling at all the stupid things I wished for, but laughing at how many were checked off. I want my life to mean something. I want to be remembered. I want to life with no regrets. So that’s my mission, my goal for life, the moral to my story. I’m going to let the world know what I want and go out there and “get er done!” I want to be old and tired when I finally check off the last thing on that torn and tattered paper…have a happily ever after.
So make that wish. Live that dream. Write it out for the world to hear. They seem more real when written out for all to behold. Then you really know what you want. What you’re willing to do for your dream. This isn’t a fairy tale. You get more than three wishes. You just have to work a little harder for them to come true.