Jane Mason | Teen Ink

Jane Mason

By Rohmee Mathe BRONZE, Randolph, Massachusetts
Rohmee Mathe BRONZE, Randolph, Massachusetts

I opened my fortune. It read: “Your life is in danger. Say nothing. You must leave the city immediately. Repeat: say nothing.” I looked around me. I was a bit shaken. Was this some kind of sick joke? Was someone playing a prank on me, because this wasn’t funny? I wanted to tell someone but, it said not to say anything. I think I should follow the instructions, but I didn’t want to look like an idiot if it’s a trick. “Can I take your order?” The waitress said to me with a Chinese accent. I looked at her for a moment, debating whether I should say something or not. She started to tap her foot. “Well…” she said. I ran out of there as fast as possible. I kept running and I realized I wasn’t going anywhere and that I needed to get back to work in five minutes. Someone shouted behind me. “Chelsea!” I froze because I knew exactly who it was. “Hey baby.” He kissed me on the lips like he always did. I wanted to kiss him back but I was scared. When he pulled back he asked, “What’s wrong you look…pale.” He touched my cheek. I was opening and closing my mouth because I wanted to say something. I was so f****** scared, and that scared the s*** out of me. “You know you can tell me anything, Chelsea. So tell me what’s wrong.” I knew I couldn’t say anything and I also knew that Andrew was a sensitive guy. If I didn’t start talking he would go all noble on me. “Chelsea, please your scaring me.” His green eyes stared deeply into my brown ones. He was making this harder than it was. I started to cry. I wanted to tell him so bad. I could write it down but I felt like I should be in a rush. I stared to run, I was running so hard that my legs and lungs where burning. It was hard to run away from him without telling him I loved him. It was also hard for a woman to run in heels. I needed to be strong. I was on my own now. When I got to my apartment building, I had to ignore all of my neighbors who were greeting me. When I got in front of my door, I saw a note on it. It was folded and said ‘Chelsea’ on the front. I grabbed the note and looked inside. It read: “You’re moving too slow, now that you have said good bye to your little boyfriend, I want you to take this ticket and go on a plane to England. The departure is at 12:00pm. If you miss this plane trust me your beau will pay for it. And don’t even think about calling the cops.” My body shuttered. I looked at the back of the note and there the ticket was tapped. This was for real. I looked at my watch it was 10:45. I ran into my apartment. I went crazy looking for everything I needed. I got all of my essentials. As if I was sleeping over a friend’s house or something. As I was rushing out I caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror. My hair was a curly mess. I put it in a neat bun. I swore I straightened it this morning. My eyes were dilated, and my cheeks were pink and wet from crying. I hadn’t even realized I had been crying so much. I was also still in my work clothes. I took off my pencil skirt and replaced them with jeans, as well as my heels with a pair of high tops. I looked at my watch; it was 11:03. As I was running out the door with my duffle bag and cellphone, I saw Andrew ring my apartment bell frequently. “S***!” I said under my breath. I tried to run to the back of the building unseen. Successfully I got to and through the back door the back door. The alley behind this building was creepy so I ran out. I whistled for a taxi. When I got in the cab it was 11:15. It didn’t take too long to get to the airport. When I stepped out of the cab all I heard was. “The 12:00 plane to England will be leaving in 5 minutes.” I ran to the gate, people where going on. I got on the plane and gave the lady my ticket. I thought about things for a while. Who would do this to me? Soon I fell asleep. When I got up, everyone was getting off the plane. I grabbed my purse and went to baggage claim to get my luggage. When I got to baggage claim, the man said with an accent, “Your husband came to get your bag.” “My husband? I don’t have-” I replied. “Yes, he went that way; he said he would wait for you in car.” He said pointing in the direction of where he saw him go. Why would he just give somebody my bags? The man looked as scared as I was, maybe even more. “What did he look like?” I asked, curious. “I think you should go now.” Then he sped walked away. I walked towards the car. When I got closer i realized it wasn’t a car, it was limo. The back seat door opened. I very slowly got in the back seat. I saw a gorgeous man in, what looked like a very expensive suit. He was holding a cigar. I sat far away from him. “Don’t be scared.” He said. “I’m not scared of you, I just don’t know you.” I said to him. “But I know you, Chelsea Miller.” He said softly. ”Drive!” He said in a dominant voice. The driver started to drive. It was scary how the tone in his voice changed so fast. I didn’t like it. “What’s your name?” I questioned. “My name is Nathanial Mason.” He said with pride, too much pride. “How do you know my name?” I asked him. “I have my ways.” He stated. “But-““Where do you work Chelsea?” He asked, changing the subject. I had a feeling he already knew. “Where do you work?” I asked instead. He laughed. Was it funny or something? “Umm… I’m in the trading business.” He said, suspiciously. “What do you trade?” “I trade very valuable merchandise.” “What kind of merchandise?” I kept asked. He sighed a little frustrated. “Do you really want to know?” He asked. “Yes.” I said anxiously. “I’m only telling you this because I think you deserve the truth.” Who knew he thought I deserved anything? “I’m in human trafficking. I sell women for money.” I was so shocked. I thought maybe he was a drug dealer, but never this. I was angry. “I enjoy what I do. It gives me power and money. But I have alternatives for careers that make just as much money as I do now.” He stated. I was suddenly scared again. “You know people are looking for me.” I said scared. “Not anymore.” He replied. “I have a proposition for you. I know you’re a feminist. So you obviously hate me for this. However, I will stop this completely, but you have to do something for me.” I kept staring at him in shock. “I’ve been observing you for a while. I realized that you are an intelligent, brave, independent, kind, and a beautiful women. I am a perfectionist, and I always get what I want. What I want is you.” He stated. I was so flabbergasted, that I wasn’t even flattered. All I could think of was that this gorgeous man was delusional. “If you take my offer, you will marry me and become my wife, you will not be Chelsea Miller anymore. You will be Jane Mason. I will change your name so that no one can find you. Or you can go back to your life with your family, friends, and boyfriend, Andrew as Chelsea Miller. Remember, that if you come with me, I will never do human trafficking again, and will have saved and freed millions of girls and women. Otherwise, you can go back and have everything be the way it used to be.” He proposed. All I could think of was this guy was delusional. This decision was huge, colossal even. Anyone would say I want to go home, as much as I want to that, it would be the most selfish decision I would ever to make. Imagine all of those young girls and women freed. It brings such joy in my heart. I began to cry. “Yes. I will marry you.” I said with great sadness. “Don’t be so sad. I will spoil you and I will make your life with me as pleasant as possible. I promise you.” He said trying to make me feel better. The limo suddenly stopped. He grabbed my hand and I stepped out. The house I saw wasn’t even a house; it was a beautiful mansion with vines and flowers growing on the sides of it. Through the window I could see, rich people chatting and drinking expensive champagne. “Miss Jane your dress.” I turned and saw an old woman in a maids dress. I couldn’t believe people where already calling me Jane. “Jane, this is your maid Flora. She will dress you for the wedding shower. You will meet me downstairs and I will introduce you to everyone.” Nathanial said. She brought me upstairs and did my hair and makeup. She even put my dress on for me. How did they even know my size? I looked in the mirror. It was beautiful dress, but when I looked at myself I was a different person. “Miss Jane we should go downstairs now.” I followed her down the huge steps. It suddenly got quiet. Everyone started at me as I was walking down the staircase. Nathanial was waiting for me at the bottom of the steps with his hand held out. I put my hand in his like I was expected. Soon everyone started talking again. “You look beautiful Jane, exquisite.” I saw all the food on the tables and realized how hungry I was. “Go and eat whatever you like.” Nathanial offered. That was the best offer he had all day. I almost ran to the table and grabbed a plate. I started putting appetizers on it. “Hello, my name is Rose Kelly; I’m married to John Kelly.” A blond women said to me. “Hi.” I shook her hand. I couldn’t help but notice how fabulous your dress is.” She said. “Thank you.” I replied. “I’m sorry I didn’t catch your name.” She said curiously. In that moment I thought about everything. How much I love my mother and father, my brothers and sisters, my boyfriend. It loved them all so much. But I wasn’t Chelsea Miller anymore. “My name is Jane, Jane Mason.”