Communion | Teen Ink

Communion

I know now what I’m drinking. I had always thought of blood like wine or grape juice—something sweeter and clearer than this. This is sweat and spit and agony; bitter, thick, blood. It lies slick and heavy on my tongue. I cannot swallow, but I cannot spit it out. A hand on my shoulder, He watches. His eyes, watching, patiently watching…it is too much!

“I cannot!” I sputter. “How can you ask this of me!?”

I do not need to apologize for the ridiculousness of my outburst. He knows my mind, and I remember. Every jolt of the mallet as I pounded those nails through his hands--I remember. The Lamb I mocked. The King I crucified. The blood I spilled. And now, I drink.

There is firmness in his tender touch as he wipes tears from eyes that had long forgotten how to cry.

“This is my love, spilled for you,” says He. “Drink.”

The cup to my lips, the tremble of my breath...then the feel of it, smoothing down my tongue, my throat, my heaving chest, my burning heart.

“Rest now.” He smiles, and it is truer for the pain that textures it. “Rest, my child. It is finished.”

“You were dead!” I choke. “I killed you!”

“So were you,” He replies. “But look. I am alive.”

I believe that Christianity is becoming stale because Christians are forgetting the mystery it contains. In all the convention and ceremony, we have forgotten Jesus. I would like to remind people of the passion of Christ.

DreamingOutQuiet SILVER, Round Rock, Texas

"Time and the bell have buried the day,
The black cloud carries the sun away" - Elliot

Oh if life where made of moments, even now and then a bad one. Oh, if life where made of moments then we wouldn't know we had one. - Into the Woods

This is very intriguing and well written, congrats

on Jun. 6 2012 at 8:45 am
Miss_Brightside GOLD, Defiance, Ohio

It's like she sees the diamond underneath And she's polishin' you 'til you shine. -Brad Paisley. (this goes to my step mom she keeps me going)
If you want a rainbow you gotta put up with the rain.-Albert Einstein

this is really good i liked it. if u get a chance could you read some of my work. thanks;D