"Theft" | Teen Ink

"Theft"

By Shubha Kapuganti BRONZE, Parsippany, New Jersey
Shubha Kapuganti BRONZE, Parsippany, New Jersey

Dr. Smith’s Blog
Entry #10

“Theft”

The kids of today, the generation of future explorers, the great ones that are destined to take our place in world and continue our work...they’re ruining everything.

As most of you know, I’m a doctor. But life for us isn’t always easy as it seems. I’m an older doctor; I graduated from Harvard in 1963. I need money and my work to keep me and my family alive. Understand this, my greatest concern is my kids’ well-being. And for my kids to be happy and thrive, I need my job as a pediatrician.

So-called ‘brilliant’ kids are taking away the jobs that we worked so hard for. Take your prestigious college for example. You’re admitting students who you believe excel in every aspect and will change the world when they grow up.

Well, let me tell you this, STOP!

There are just too many kids being admitted into medical school, and it’s all in your hands! And I can tell you, straight from the heart, that these students (the ones that actually make it out of what you call a college alive), aren’t very smart. They’re just the better of their petty generation, but I can assure you that they never would have made it into Harvard in the 1960’s.

I have kids to support, and a life to live. Since you won’t take my own truly brilliant kids into your college with scholarship, I have to pay for them. I can’t afford having freshly graduated college kids impeaching me from my job. And now you’re taking the kids that don’t deserve to attend such a college and letting them take over my work. It’s pure absurdity!

And thus, I beg, that undeserving students should not be admitted into a college you call ‘selective’. My children are actually worthy of attending an Ivy League college, yet you ask me to pay the price. Am I not paying a big enough price when you snatch my job and hand it over in a nice little gift box to underachieving students from wealthy families?

All my patients go to the new doctor next door - Dr. Steeler (or as I like to call him - Dr. Stealer). They simply send me a note that says they’re leaving my practice. I ask them why and they respond, “Dr. Steeler has just graduated from college. He knows the most recent theories and remedies. You’ve graduated before the time of Advil!” I sat down with Dr, Steeler and he didn’t even know what a Dyspnea was! And you call him a certified doctor!

I can’t rant any further, but I certainly think you understand. Don’t let those students who don’t deserve to get admitted into Harvard and Princeton in. Only you can change who gets admitted and who doesn’t.

This piece has an interesting view and topic. I hope people enjoy reading this. I think it will give them something new to think about.