Lucky Pennie | Teen Ink

Lucky Pennie

By ChasingtheStars BRONZE, Albuquerque, New Mexico
ChasingtheStars BRONZE, Albuquerque, New Mexico

"Would you love me if I was crazy?"

I sat in the grass, my head in my hands. People around me just stared as they walked by. I tried not to sob but the tears came anyway and I fell apart. I took a deep shuddering breath. My thoughts spun out of control and reality was coming down hard. My head was throbbing and I just couldn’t take it anymore. I curled up and a cloud moved, letting the sun warm my back through the thin shirt I was wearing.

I can’t blame anybody but myself. She told me not to fall in love. But I did. Over and over and I hurt everybody. Carson. Ryan. William. She told me that I screwed with people’s heads and played with their hearts. It’s not my fault. I never wanted to hurt anybody. I just fall in love so easily and continuously. I got in over my head and when I tried to get out and take a breath, Everybody else started to drown.

I sobbed and bit down on my lip hard. Then something struck my ears. Somebody was playing the guitar. I listened, clinging desperately onto the beautiful memory. But that made me cry harder. I thought back to the times when William would play me songs and sing to me softly. How Ryan would sing me to sleep. How Carson would tell me how beautiful I was in every way. I thought I loved all of them. But I guess it wasn’t enough. I stood up and wiped the tears from my cheeks. I walked over to the fountain, ignoring the piercing stares.

I pulled a few pennies out of my pocket and held them close to my chest. The melody got louder. I guess the guitarist was walking closer. I closed my eyes and made a wish. I can’t tell you what I wished for. That would ruin it. But I wanted this wish so badly. I let go of the pennies, letting them drop into the fountain. I sat down on the edge of it, dipping my feet in the cool water. The sun had been warming this as well, but it was still cool. Not cold but just a little chilled. I let the sun dry away my tears and I heard two little splashes. Like somebody else just sat in the fountain. I glanced over and saw the guitar player.

He was tall. Brown eyes, dark skin, brown hair. Crooked teeth. He smiled faintly over at me.

“You believe that stuff?” He asked without warning.

I arched my eyebrows.

“Making wishes on pennies. Those wishes never come true.” He kept strumming softly.

I shrugged and looked him in the eyes. “Well those are lucky pennies.”

He chuckled and shook his head. “There’s no such thing as luck.”

I shook my head this time. “Yeah there is. I have a jar of lucky pennies and when I make a wish on them, they usually come true in some way or another.”

He smiled softly, as if he felt bad for me. “I’m Scott.”

I felt the corners of my lips curve up just the slightest. “Jamie.”

This is my story, but the names are changed.