Coma Rule | Teen Ink

Coma Rule

By identity76 SILVER, Bolingbrook, Illinois
identity76 SILVER, Bolingbrook, Illinois

"Today you are you. This is truer than true. There is no one alive that is youer than you"- Dr.Seuss

Today is the big day. I have been counting down for it all summer. Time has been flying by and now I am finally at this moment. I do not know how to describe it. It is a feeling of accomplishment even though I have not yet accomplished anything. It is kind of nostalgic in a sense that it takes me back to particular times in my life. Times in my life where everything was perfect...like right now.

I cannot stop smiling. I cannot hide this joyous emotion. I want to do something to get it out of me. A jog around the block or a cartwheel down the hill. Anything to subside this ticking adrenaline rush.

I received mail today. It brought tears to my eyes. Funny how such a silly thing as receiving an envelope can evoke so much emotion from a person. A cathartic release as some would say. I opened the letter with such suspense. Slowly running my figures across the seal, breathing slowly as it was broken, gasping for air when it was opened. I almost died within in that moment.

I slowly unfolded the letter. Such a perfect fold upon golden rod paper the color of a summer's sunset. It was hand written. Black ink danced across the pages like a ballerina upon a stage. Each word written gracefully and harmoniously.

I read the first sentence and my heart stopped. It was all I needed. I fell to the floor like a withering leaf from dying maple tree. Slowly, yet rhythmically swaying back and forth. I could not move. Paralyzed from head to toe with fear and failure.

“What am I to do now?”, I asked aloud, but there was no one to hear me. It was only myself. Left to sit upon the floor and let my thoughts consume me.

15 minutes passed and I picked up the letter again. My face turned beet red with embarrasment.

I laughed. I laughed out loud for what seemed like a eternity. Wildly throwing my head back, I rolled over and held my stomach, tears streaming from my eyes, and gasping for air.

When I was able to compose myself I read the letter. This time around I read it in its entirety.
My lips parted and spread to what could have been the biggest smile known to man.

“A missing coma.”, I belted. “A missing coma almost sent me over the edge in fear that I was not good enough.” I laughed some more at the thought. “Hmph.”, I chortled. “And this is supposed to be the greatest school in the country, but they forget a simple coma?” In this moment I knew I was alright. I knew that I would be okay from that day forward.

Just something out of nothing; enjoy!