Coma Rule | Teen Ink

Coma Rule

April 4, 2012
By identity76 SILVER, Bolingbrook, Illinois
identity76 SILVER, Bolingbrook, Illinois
7 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
"Today you are you. This is truer than true. There is no one alive that is youer than you"- Dr.Seuss


Today is the big day. I have been counting down for it all summer. Time has been flying by and now I am finally at this moment. I do not know how to describe it. It is a feeling of accomplishment even though I have not yet accomplished anything. It is kind of nostalgic in a sense that it takes me back to particular times in my life. Times in my life where everything was perfect...like right now.

I cannot stop smiling. I cannot hide this joyous emotion. I want to do something to get it out of me. A jog around the block or a cartwheel down the hill. Anything to subside this ticking adrenaline rush.

I received mail today. It brought tears to my eyes. Funny how such a silly thing as receiving an envelope can evoke so much emotion from a person. A cathartic release as some would say. I opened the letter with such suspense. Slowly running my figures across the seal, breathing slowly as it was broken, gasping for air when it was opened. I almost died within in that moment.

I slowly unfolded the letter. Such a perfect fold upon golden rod paper the color of a summer's sunset. It was hand written. Black ink danced across the pages like a ballerina upon a stage. Each word written gracefully and harmoniously.

I read the first sentence and my heart stopped. It was all I needed. I fell to the floor like a withering leaf from dying maple tree. Slowly, yet rhythmically swaying back and forth. I could not move. Paralyzed from head to toe with fear and failure.

“What am I to do now?”, I asked aloud, but there was no one to hear me. It was only myself. Left to sit upon the floor and let my thoughts consume me.

15 minutes passed and I picked up the letter again. My face turned beet red with embarrasment.

I laughed. I laughed out loud for what seemed like a eternity. Wildly throwing my head back, I rolled over and held my stomach, tears streaming from my eyes, and gasping for air.

When I was able to compose myself I read the letter. This time around I read it in its entirety.
My lips parted and spread to what could have been the biggest smile known to man.

“A missing coma.”, I belted. “A missing coma almost sent me over the edge in fear that I was not good enough.” I laughed some more at the thought. “Hmph.”, I chortled. “And this is supposed to be the greatest school in the country, but they forget a simple coma?” In this moment I knew I was alright. I knew that I would be okay from that day forward.

The author's comments:
Just something out of nothing; enjoy!