The Awakening

March 30, 2012
"Really? Are you serious?" I asked frantically.

"Yes, we're serious," my mom said, smiling from ear to ear.

"Thank you! Thank you!" I jumped up and down with glee; then hugged my parents.

They had just informed me I was getting a horse.

"You're welcome. We'll start looking tomorrow, and then we can board it at a stable. It's going to be your responsibility to take care of and exercise, too," my dad informed me.

"I don't care! I'm getting my own horse!" I started jumping again.

My mom got up and put her hands on my shoulders to hold me down. I stopped jumping, and my mom grabbed her laptop.

"I'm going to look for some items that you'll need for a horse," she told me.

We looked at saddles, brushes, halters, blankets, bridles, and even lead ropes. By the end of three hours I had everything I needed for my horse.

“Thanks for everything, Mom,” I told her while giving her a hug goodnight.

I was dead-beat tired, so I climbed into bed and fell asleep almost as soon as my head hit the pillow.

The next morning, I got dressed and headed downstairs for breakfast. I was so excited, I only had two pieces of toast, though. I rushed my parents, so by the time we were in the car, ready to go, it was nine o’clock. we had to meet the man at ten. We had a forty five minute drive until we got to the stable, so I brought my book. I was reading a horse series called Heartland. The only problem was I was too excited to read it. I picked up one of my favourite shows and put it in the portable DVD player, instead. The show was called “My Pal Trigger.” It even had Gene Autry in it.

After what felt like hours, we were finally there. I climbed out of the car, my knees weak with all the excitement. We walked into the barn and found the main office.

“Hi. You must be the family scheduled for ten,” the man sitting at the desk said.

“Well, yes. Yes we are,” my mom stumbled a little bit, but recovered quickly.

“Great, even though you’re early, I’m ready for you. Sorry, I didn’t mean to be rude or anything. By the way, my name’s Devin,” the man talked fast, obviously nerves.

I held out my hand, “Britney.” He shook it.

My parents introduced themselves; then we walked down the aisle and into a indoor arena.

“This is Rick,” Devin said gesturing to the stable hand holding three tacked up horses. “The first horse you’ll try is Stormy, here.”

He took a dapple gray quarter horse from the stable hand. Then he handed me the reins.

“There’s a mounting block over there,” he pointed to his right.

I led Stormy around everyone and headed to the mounting block. Once I was mounted, I worked through figure eights and went over a few jumps. Nothing complicated.

Dismounting she stated, “I’m sorry, but we just don’t have the kind of connection I’m hoping for. He’s a beautiful horse, though.”

“Thanks and there’s no need to apologize.”

He took Stormy’s reins and led him to the stable hand. Then he led a black horse over to me.

He handed me the reins and said, “This is Midnight.”

I smiled, took the reins, and mounted, not even bothering to go back over to the mounting block. I did the same routine, apologizing again that I didn’t feel a connection. He, again, said it was okay.

“This is Ginger,” he informed me.

Ginger was a bay Arabian. I did the same routine I did with the other two horses, only this time something felt... different. We just clicked.

“She’s amazing!” I gleamed. “I mean, we just seem to click,” I told them dismounting.

“Honey, we’ll get you Ginger, but maybe you want to wait and try some different horses,” my mom suggested.

“Oh, mom. Please! She’s sooooo amazing.”

“Okay. It’s your decision.”

We all walked to Ginger’s stall. My parents talked to Devin while I got to brush Ginger. We bought Ginger and took her back home with us. Then we took her to a stable where we would bored her.
***Three Years Later***

I walked across the soft rug in my room. A week ago I had been on my way to a jumping competition. Now I’d just gotten home from the hospital. Our car had ended up rolling. Ginger and my dad were killed. My life was like a shattered mirror. Only difference was my life would probably never be glued back together again.Even though I only Knew Ginger three years, I still loved her. Then there was my dad. The best dad there was. I missed him more than anything even Ginger.

I ran and flopped face down on the bed. I let the tears flow freely for the first time since the accident. Still crying I turned over onto my back. I starred at the picture of my parents and I standing next to Ginger, all smiling and laughing. I let my mind wander back to that day when I won my first blue ribbon with Ginger.

I got up and walked to my dresser opening the curtains to look out the window. My mom came and stood next to me. Placing her hands on my shoulders she opened her mouth to say something, but sensing I needed her by me quietly, she closed her mouth.

We stood there watching the sunset. Physically I would heal. Emotionally I didn’t really know if I’d ever be the same again. But who knows, tomorrow the sun would rise again and it would be a new day. That I was thankful for, but mostly because I could share one more day with my mom.

“Dear Lord,” I prayed silently. “Thank you for giving me one more day on Earth. Thanks for not taking mom from me, too. Please take good care of dad and Ginger, though. I can’t wait to see them again. Oh, and tell them I love them very, very much. In Jesus name we pray, Amen,” it was the first time I prayed since the accident and it felt good.

“We’re going to be okay. I know that for sure now.” I whispered to my mom.

I saw relieve flash on my mom’s face. Then she grabbed me and gave me a giant bear hug as the sun disappeared, not to be seen again until morning.

Post a Comment

Be the first to comment on this article!

Site Feedback