Things That Are Nice | Teen Ink

Things That Are Nice

By SethNebraskaBoy BRONZE, Lincoln, Nebraska
SethNebraskaBoy BRONZE, Lincoln, Nebraska

“Com’on,” I grabbed a pale blue pillow off my bed, Kyle looked at me, his shaggy light brown hair covering his eyebrows.
“What? Where are we going?” He sat up a little and it reminded me of a dog sitting up with interest at the hearing of the word ‘walk’ or ‘outside’. I blushed and said, “Just com’on, it’s a surprise.”

“No, but really, where are we going?” Kyle grunted as we got into my 4x4 Dodge Ram. I turned to look at him, slightly irritated with his lack of trust, “It’s a surprise, don’t you ever do something spontaneous just because you feel like it? Don’t you ever feel the need to brake away from the ‘norm’, from society in general?”
“Okay, okay, alright, let’s go,” Kyle raised his hands and gave me a crooked grin. I blushed again - I lived to see his rare, casually-seductive grins. My knees began to shake.
“Thank you,” I started my truck up to life and sped out of my neighborhood and onto a busy main street.

Twelve miles of out town, Johnny Cash whispered his song ‘Cry, Cry, Cry’ through the speakers. The windows were down and Kyle closed his eyes and let the warm dwindling light of an evening sunset lay acrossed his face.

...I lie awake at night to wait till you come in, you stay a little while and then you’re gone again...

I take a left onto a side road, paved with rocks and pebbles. The high corn fields closing us in, the smell of dirt apparent. As I looked out over the fields there was a purple sky, picturesque even to the most vague of people.
“You smell nice,” Kyle said slowly, like he had chosen each word carefully and particularly. A pleasant feeling arised in my chest and I took his hand, he squeezed mine tenderly.

...When I turn around and walk away you’ll cry, cry, cry...

As I pulled over onto the shoulder of the dirt road we were on, he opens his eyes, “Your surprise is a country road?” I jumped out of my Dodge and grabbed the light blue pillow we had brought, “No...” I climbed into the bed of my truck and Kyle did the same. In a almost routine and simplistic kind of way Kyle grabbed the pillow from me, laid down, and stretched his arm out in an invitation. I laid down beside him and rested my head on his chest. He placed his arm around me, holding me, affixing me to him.

“This is my surprise,” By now the sun had set and the sky had turned a dark navy blue, and the clusters of stars that hung and floated above us, shined so bright, it’s brilliance could only be comprehended as pure, untouched innocence.

We didn’t say anything to each other for a long time. But, it didn’t matter. I felt at ease with my surroundings. I concentrated on the sound of Kyle’s heart beat. On his warm, tough skin that laid beneath his tee-shirt. I thought about last night and how he kissed me, how he grabbed the back of my neck in a passionate, aggressive way. Tenderness radiated from him with a force that could have equalled the one of a Florida ocean wave. He smelled of firewood and of ginger, and when he began to sweat a edulcorated and sour scent drifted pasted my nose.

I concentrate on the memory of us making love on his bathroom floor. The chillness of the ceramic tiles conflicting with the way my body was shaking and inclined with a warmth I’ve never known. He made love to me in slow movements, being careful not to adulterate my seemingly fragile, naked body. When he came his face scrunched and his bushy eyebrows shot up, giving him this pitiful look, like he was in pain. We were giving each other to each other and it pained him, a good pain, one of those feelings. After, he wrapped his arms around me and kissed me on my forehead before falling into an induced sleep. I laid there feeling his heavy, deep breaths hitting me as I tried to slow my own frantic ones.

Kyle squeezed my hip and I come from my dream. I tilted my head up to his, he said, “With so much fear and sorrow in this world it’s nice to know something uncorrupted and perfect is still out there.” His words hung in the air around us and a smile spread acrossed my face. I moved towards him and kissed him softly on his cheek. “It’s really nice,” I said.

Sometimes it's hard to find things that are truly nice in this world when it's complicated with our society and pressures. But, it might not be so hard to notice those nice things when your with someone who helps you see them.