Memories | Teen Ink

Memories

By stephaniemarie BRONZE, Yakima, Washington
stephaniemarie BRONZE, Yakima, Washington

Running up and down the beach, splashing water and building sand castles, as the hot sun were beating down on Sarah and her family. These were the best times, the only times Sarah wants to never forget. With smiles on their faces, laughing and just happy. Her family consisted of her younger twin brothers, Kaleb and Kobe. They were so unruly. They were always finding a way to make Sarah’s life horrible. From unplugging her alarm clock to throwing water balloons at her, they’ve done every possible to Sarah, but Sarah still loves them greatly. And then there were her parents. Her parents took them everywhere. They’ve gone to the Grand Canyon, Statue of Liberty, even Mount Rushmore. Adventure was defiantly something her parents liked to expose them to.
Going to the beach had become a family tradition every summer since Sarah was a baby. This was a time to have fun, enjoy each others company, and create memories that will never fade. As Sarah stares at the picture frame, she can no longer contain her tears. All kinds’ memories began to run through her mind as she stares at this picture frame. The one memory Sarah will never forget it this very day at the beach. This was the time that changed Sarah’s life forever. Still with tears slowly rolling down her cheeks, she closes her eyes and remembers. On the way home from the beach that day, Sarah’s dad lost control of the wheel and the car spun into disaster. The car rolled down a ravine. Their once family car was completely destroyed and lifeless. The only thing Sarah remembers is, her little brothers scream as the car rolled and their bodies being banged and shaken from every which way. From there her mind is blank. It’s now been 4 months and Sarah suffered from a coma. She went from the car wreck to waking up in a hospital room. She was so confused and her thoughts were spinning like a top. She slowly opened her eyes, wondering where the rest of her family was. As the nurse waked in Sarah asked were everyone was and what had happened, she hadn’t realized that she had just come out of a coma. The accident had seemed like it was just yesterday. Shocked by Sarah waking up, she brought in the doctor. The doctor greeted her and began to explain where she was at and why she was there. The question arose again, “where is the rest of my family, my brothers, my parents, where are they?” The doctor took a hard swallow and cleared his throat as he quickly glanced at the nurse as she held her head downward. “Sarah, I’m very sorry to have to tell you this, but in the car accident your brothers and your parents…died” Her forehead scrunched and her eyes squinted and began to tear up. “How did this happen?” He began to tell her what had happened. “From the impact of the car rolling down the ravine, their bodies were thrown almost 600ft from the landing of the car, I’m sorry Sarah but we are willing to help you ever way possible.” Sarah was still crying. The more the doctor said the bigger her tears got. She slowly laid back against the hard hospital bed, in shock and disbelief. A week had past and Sarah talked to no one, ate nothing, and refused any medication. She was lost, all she wanted was her family back. She tried remembering all the good times her and her family had had. The traditional beach trips, Mount Rushmore, and the Statue of Liberty. There was an old man who stayed down the hall from her and had heard her cries. One day he walked in her room and sat down. Sarah said “I’m sorry do I know you?” the old man replied with a chuckle “possibly”. They sat and talked for hours and Sarah told the old man of her tragic story. He told her “now you wipe those tears…you need to use this experience to help through life, use it as a stepping stone toward your future. Even though your family is no longer here there still “here”, be strong Sarah I know you will pull through.” Sarah sat there silent with no comment. The man got up and walked out, Sarah tried to get up as fast as possible but her fastness was about as fast as a snail since she hadn’t move her legs for 4 months. She looked out her hospital room door down the hall and the old man was gone, as if he had vanished. Sarah never forgot what the old man had told her. Little did Sarah know, but the old man was her dad. He was there to reassure her everything would be alright and that family is everything, so even if they weren’t there they were still “there’ watching over her.

this was just a random, realistic short story i was assigned to do in my Senior Creative Writing Class. I really liked it so i thought id upload it.