Samuel | Teen Ink

Samuel

March 23, 2012
By Joust85 BRONZE, New York, New York
Joust85 BRONZE, New York, New York
2 articles 2 photos 3 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Expectation is the root of all heartache" - William Shakespeare


It was raining outside. It was Saturday. I was going to be late for work. I waved goodbye to the door man as I left the apartment building. I ran with my head low for it was pouring buckets. I ran for two blocks before diving into my nearest train station. I stood before the turnstile searching for my card.

I have been standing in the station for ten minutes waiting for any train to arrive. Before I began to question if I still have a job, the dim headlight of the train was shimmering on the tracks down the tunnel. Thank God I quietly said to myself as the train quickly approached. As the front of the train flew past me, I was in the middle of the station, I heard a noise of banging and yelling. As the train came to a stop, I quickly glanced down the train car in front of me to see a mid aged lady yelling at some kids standing between the cars. I dodged the passengers leaving the train. I jumped into the closing doors nearly taking my arm off. I scanned the car looking for a seat. I noticed that everyone was looking in the direction of the kids with frowns on their faces. Some looked like they were deep in thought. I sat down next to a lady holding an infant in her arms. I looked at her. She looked back at me. I turned to look at the kids playing between the train cars. They were laughing their heads off. The lady who just finished speaking to them leaned against the side door waiting for the next stop. The boys were making too much noise. The baby started crying. People started to murmur and shuffle in their seats uncomfortably. There was a man with a seriously angry face. This guy kept looking back and forth and talking to himself like he lost something. He then jumped up out of his seat and turned to face the boys. He began to storm in their direction shaking his head violently. The man ran right up to the closed door, separating him from them, and slowly raised his hand. His hand reached up for the emergency brake. Without a moment to lose, he yanked on the dangling red handle. In almost an instant everyone was thrust forward. A few people standing were thrown to the floor. A few people sitting down were bounced all around. The woman sitting next to me dropped her baby onto my lap. After the train screeched to a stop, a woman near the back of the car was screaming. We all turned to her to find her pointing and covering her mouth. She was pointing at the door leading to the other car. But from the window of that door you could see the splattered juice of one of the boys playing between the train cars. When the emergency break was pulled, Samuel, one of the boys, had his head jerked down in between the small gap between the cars; of course we found this all out later. And as I sit there in the chaotic car, I think to myself: my boss is never going to believe this.

The author's comments:
This is one of my first realistic fiction short stories. I was pretty young and still made many errors. Unfortunately I didn't have the patience to look through this to check for anything wrong.