Freakshow- The New Kid | Teen Ink

Freakshow- The New Kid

By TheBellusSociety PLATINUM, North Olmsted, Ohio
TheBellusSociety PLATINUM, North Olmsted, Ohio

"The poets have been mysteriously silent on the subject of cheese." -Gilbert K. Chesterton

During and before morning home room on the first day of school I noticed lots of kids whispering. Not being on the up-and-up, or even caring, no one told me anything. I heard only glimpses of conversations like, "Did you see?" "So weird!" I remained silent until our teacher, Miss Rigby, stood up behind her desk and said, "Class, we have a new student today." She gestures towards the door. Through the window we see an odd silhouette shake no. She grabs an arm clad in white gloves and a dark gray coat sleeve trimmed with red. Soon she is pulled into the hallway with the student. After some time, Miss Rigby triumphantly walks in pulling, by the hair, possibly the oddest boy I have ever seen. He was wearing a bright red clown wig that made him look bald on top and left the hair to be teased out to the sides in curls, so it gave the impression that he had a red smoke cloud circling his head. He also wore a dark gray top hat with a bright red ribbon and matching gray, red trimmed old trench coat. His gray, button-up shirt was worn with a red silk tie and tucked neatly into his red silk shorts. He was also wearing a bird nose mask that was ornately carved around the eyes. Strangely enough, our teacher asked him to remove none of this. "Hi, I'm Atto Anormales, but you can call me Freakshow!" We all stare, slack jawed, as he removes his hat, cartwheels over and into his seat, and daintily places his hat back on his wigged head.

This is the first in a series of short stories about Atto, or, as he calls himself, Freakshow.