Angel | Teen Ink

Angel

By 98horsegirl BRONZE, Monticello, Illinois
98horsegirl BRONZE, Monticello, Illinois

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”
― Dr. Seuss

"When you fall I will always be there."
-Floor

Pain, hunger, neglect. She has been living this way for 3 years, which is her whole life. Who is living this way you might ask. Well, a young, innocent 3 year old horse named Angel.

Angel has been living with an evil man from hell named Bruce. Bruce drinks beer and watches NASCAR till he gets so drunk he can't even walk. On days that he doesn't get too drunk, he will go out and beat Angel. He whips her, puts things in her food and water to make her sick and just beats her till she can't stand.

Angel is the only horse at Bruce's house. Her mother, Lucy, was beaten to death by Bruce. She died last year.

Angel is a buckskin quarter horse, so she is tan with a black mane and tail. She eats moldy hay only once every other day. Angel is so thin you can count her ribs.

Life wasn't always like this. When she was born, she lived a good life, had clean water and food. Bruce didn't drink. He was even married. Life was good and fun for Angel and Lucy, but, one day, Bruce's wife went to the store to pick up some things. There was an accident. She was hit by a drunk driver and died.

Things changed. Bruce started drinking and beating his horses.

Today is one of Angel's lucky days. Bruce is too drunk to hurt her. She doesn't have a stall, just stays outside in the field all day and night without a blanket or any shelter.

The paddock, or field, is in horrible shape. It has no grass only dirt with nails all over. They have always been there, don't know what they're from. Angel has stepped on nails before. After a day or so they just fall out.

Angel is coated in dirt from rolling, and won't be brushed off anytime soon. She deals with it, no other choice.

Since Bruce is inside she walks around the pasture, careful not to step on a nail. Angel sees a bird flying towards her. It lands on her back. Oh how she wishes she had wings! She could just fly away. Never to be beaten again!

It is about 5:00pm now. Angel didn't get fed yesterday.

“I should get fed today!” the thought of food makes Angel happy, even though it's gross and moldy, it's still food.

Angel waits and waits for her hay. It’s now 6:00, and he hasn't come.

“Am I being fed today?” Angel wonders.

It's 8 o’clock and still no food has come. Tired and hungry, she lays down and tries to go to sleep. The pain of her stomach keeps her awake. Angel wants to go to sleep and never wake up. She would never be hungry or in pain ever again. Angel has given up hope of ever leaving Bruce's house.

She finally gets to sleep with dreams of flying away from this place.

“Get up you big bag of filth!” Crack! Bruce shouts as he brings a whip down to her skin. The pain is unbearable.

Crack! Crack! Again and again.

“Get up!” Bruce yells. She just lays there, in too much pain to get up.

“Fine!” Bruce storms off.

“Good, he's gone.” Angel relaxes and tries to block out he pain.

“This will get you moving!” Bruce says as he comes back. This time with barbed wire in his hand. He tied the barbed wire on her face like a halter. The barbs dig into her skin.

Angel couldn't move. The pain was excruciating!

Each pull from Bruce tore up her face, but she didn't have the strength to stand up.

“Fine! I give up!” he shouted as he storms off for the second time, leaving the wire still on Angel's face.

Angel can't move. There is blood all around her, from her face and from the whip. She is laying on her side, her head resting on the ground. Angel closes her eyes.

The pain is gone! The hunger is gone! She stands up and is completely healed. Angel looks up and sees a bright light. She turns around and sees her scared and thin body. Angel doesn't know what is going on.

Angel starts walking towards the light. It is warm and inviting. She looks up and sees God's face. Angel steps into the light and she knows she is home. She is free.