4th and Long | Teen Ink

4th and Long

Its 9:30 on a warm Friday night in Blanchester. The crowd is cheering for the home team, the Wildcats,which are down by six in the fourth quarter. Its fourth down with eight yards to go with thirty seconds left on the clock. Andrew Michael the , quarterback, is trying to encourage his teammates who are discouraged thinking that they are going to lose.

Over the roar of the crowd, Andrew is trying to convince his teammates not to give up.

“We're never going to do it, Andrew.”said John Spencer the, wide receiver.
Andrew replied “Never say never. Don’t you remember what the coach said if at first you don’t succeed try, try again.”

“Yeah, but we tried, tried again and look where it got us.”said Nick Collins,the corner.

Andrew thought for a second and replied “Well, maybe we need to try again one last time. Come on guys we're in the championship game. We just can't give up. Lets try one last time.”

Nick thought about it for a second and slowly said “Well it cant hurt to try. So I’m in.”

I guess I’ll try too.”said John.
Andrew smiled and said”Lets go guys we've got a championship to win.”

While there were getting into their positions Hank Long, the defensive tackle, smirked at Nick and said”I see that you wimps finally decided to play. Well your QB is mine.”

Nick replied “Not on my watch, buddy.”

“Yeah, well you haven’t been stopping me today so lets see your next pathetic attempt to stop me.” Hank sneered.
Soon everyone was in their positions and Andrew signaled Nick to snap the ball. Little did Andrew know that the next play would change his forever. Nick snapped the ball and it landed perfectly in Andrews hands. Andrew went back to pass and to his relief and amazement Nick was actually keeping Hank at bay. He looked back and to his horror one of the linebackers was charging at him. He amazingly juked him, set his feet and let the ball fly. That pass was one of those passes that every quarterback dreams about and it landed perfectly in Johns hands. He took off at full speed. He shook off one tackler, juked another and looked like he was about to be tackled but amazingly did a spin move and dodged him. He looked like he was going to go all the way when the fastest player on the other team tackled him. The officials couldn’t tell if it was a touchdown or not but after a couple nail biting minutes they determined that it was a touchdown. As the extra point team came out on the field Andrew kept on thinking “Please make it, please make it.”. As the kicker lined up for the kick time seemed to slow for everyone. The ball is snapped, the kicker kicks the football and it goes right through the middle of the posts.

The Wildcats have won the Championship. Andrew walks up to Hank and says “Good game. You kept me on my toes out there.”

Hank replies “Yeah, it was a good game but you won by pure luck out there.”
Andrew chuckles and walks away. The next day he gets a phone call. It's his coach.
Andrew say”Yes, coach?”.

His coach replies “I just got off the phone with Ohio State they're giving you a scholarship.”

Andrew stutters “ A sch-sch-scholarship Ohio State is giving me a scholarship?”

His coach replies “That’s what I said , right?”

“Coach I’ve gotta go I'll talk to you later, bye.”

And that is how Andrew Michaels learned to never give up.

I wrote this for a assignment for my English class.

theboss25 said...
theboss25, Mainville, Ohio

"Speak softly and carry a big stick." Theodore Roosevelt

Thanks i worked hard on it lol :)

on Mar. 2 2012 at 1:26 am
TheMusicNeverStopped96 BRONZE, Cincinnati, Ohio

"I believe that marriage isn't between a man and woman, but between love and love." Frank Ocean

Good job (: