Birthdays of Despair | Teen Ink

Birthdays of Despair

By kailove4ever BRONZE, Brooklyn, New York
kailove4ever BRONZE, Brooklyn, New York

The bar was full of socialites. A rich teenager stood in corner with two girls and a stripper stood on the stage stripping away her life. This was how it seemed to Connie every June 4th. It was her birthday, a day that you may single out to throw the wildest party in Brooklyn or have a quiet dinner with your family. Well, not for Connie Henderson. She had no friends, well not people that want to hang out with her. And her family, her dad, hated her. Mrs. Henderson was killed when Connie was 2 years old. Memories of that day ran down her face every 4th of June, along with her tears.

“A round of Scotch.” Connie told the bartender wearily. As if he needs to know. Connie has been to that bar so many times that she knew all the choices of alcohol behind Jerry and had tasted them. Connie is only 17 years old, but she drinks all the time. She gets drunks at night and hungover at school the next morning. But it isn’t like her father cares. So why should she care? About anything. That day, the day of her mother’s murder, Mr. Henderson had a fight with his wife. Mrs. Henderson needed to go away on a business trip. Mr. Henderson had been drunk and not himself.
“Rayla, you can’t go on that trip!”
“Marcus I have to. Now let me go!”

Marcus wouldn’t agree though. He got so angry that he punched Rayla in the cheek. Hard. Rayla screamed out and tried to get away from him, but Marcus kept on slapping, kicking, and punching her. Finally, she ran for the gun in the closet. Connie was crawling on the floor, wide-eyed and curious. She had no idea what was going on. Rayla tried to grab the pistol, but instead swept it and it landed right in front of Connie. As Marcus kept on abusing her, Rayla shouted out to Connie, “Give me the gun, baby! Please!”
Connie picked up the gun, more curious than ever. Even though she had no idea what was going on, she heard the tone in her mom’s voice. It scared her. Connie picked up the gun and handed it to her mom, but not before accidentally pulling the trigger.

“Connie?” A naked stranger asked the distraught little girl.
Connie looked around. Naked and lost.
Things were totally messed up.