Glances | Teen Ink

Glances

January 15, 2012
By brightblue. GOLD, Green Bay, Wisconsin
brightblue. GOLD, Green Bay, Wisconsin
16 articles 0 photos 4 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Many things - such as loving, going to sleep, or behaving unaffectedly - are done worst when we try hardest to do them."
- C.S. Lewis


There was something different about her, he decided. He couldn't say what - because she was dressed just like the rest of them, ran in the same social circles, worked and woke up and lived just like any other girl. Albeit she was beautiful, but then, there were plenty of other girls out there that were pretty too.
But she was different. He couldn't put his finger on it, but something was just the slightest bit...unique. Better, dared he say it.
And maybe that was why he couldn't take his eyes off of her. All night, he'd been staring - discreetly, of course - completely transfixed. And she'd smile, she'd laugh, standing against the wall, not really social, but not on her own either. Just her and that one dark haired girl, her friend who could have been born anywhere, with her porcelain skin and honey-colored eyes. They had their own jokes, he could tell - just by the way they exchanged glances and finished each other's sentences.
She was different. Something about her.
It took him maybe an hour to convince himself to talk to her. And even then, his tongue still felt too big for his mouth, and her eyes were so green, and he still could barely even think of anything to say to her, and God, her eyes were green...
But she was easy to talk to. He liked that. And he liked her eyes, too - and her hair, and the way she laughed, and the freckles on her nose, and her white teeth.

"Where're you from again?" she asked, smiling, emerald-eyes narrowed playfully.

"Portland. You?"

"Phoenix."

And he smiled back. "Never been."

She laughed at that. "I'll take you some time."