Ready or Not

I took a deep breath and looked over a Christopher. We were in this together. I had no doubt about that. He promised me that we would stay together, no matter what. I was only seventeen years old, but I knew deep in my heart that I was ready for a change. The bruise on my face was just turning yellow and I was ready to put it behind me. It’s not like mom would miss me anyway. She wanted rid of me, she had said so plenty of times.

I saw the old train whistle from a few yards back and I grabbed Christopher’s hand firmly without looking back. I was ready for a future. I was ready for my life to really begin.

“Ready?” Christopher whispered in my ear ever so gently. I slowly nodded with my eyes closed, picturing a better life for us. He kissed the top of my head and we bored the train like everyone else. I sat down at the first empty seat. I didn’t feel like a runaway. I didn’t feel like a high school dropout. I didn’t feel like I was running away from my family with my boyfriend. It just felt as if I was on a trip; on some kind of vacation. I let myself believe this the whole way there. Christopher hadn’t told me where exactly we were going, so I just sat there and enjoyed the burning colors of the autumn scenery.

“Lucy, Lucy wake up. We’re here.” Christopher nudged me awake.

“Where are we?” I opened my eyes, groggily. I didn’t realize I had fallen asleep. Everyone was already getting off the train. We were the only ones left.

“Better grab a jacket, this is the windy city you know.” he said with a smile and a cheesy wink.

“Chicago!?” Christopher knew me so well. My whole life I have wanted to go to Chicago; the music, the commotion, the food! I kissed him hard on the lips and jumped up to grab my one and only bag.

“I knew you’d love it.” He said as we were getting off the train.

billgamesh11 said...
Jan. 21, 2012 at 9:04 am
Hmm, this is starting out to be really good! There were a few spelling errors, like "i looked AT Christopher" and "we BOARD the train like everyone else", but other than that, it was really good! You kept my interest at very high levels the whole time!!! Great Job and Keep Writing this story!!! :):):);)

ginger1993 said...
Jan. 21, 2012 at 8:49 am
i loved it!!!