Thoughts of a Soldier | Teen Ink

Thoughts of a Soldier

December 14, 2011
By alexander payne BRONZE, Morgan Hill, California
alexander payne BRONZE, Morgan Hill, California
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

He is riding in a Humvee.

Is Eric out of high school yet? i haven't seen him or anyone else in the family since last Christmas. He probably has all his applications in to every school.

The Humvee ahead of him explodes.

Has Lauren broken up with that guy yet? She was always too good for him.

The Humvee slides to a stop.

Ryan is in high school now. He is in football right? He is going to be great. I wish I could be there for all of his games.

He hid behind the wreckage of a tank.

Dad never complained. He was always there for me. I never knew What I had in him. He always lived his life the way he wanted to, and not how others wanted him too.

Bullets are flying past him.

Why didn't i just try in high school? I could be back living a fulfilling life with my friends and family.

He crumbles to the ground.

I promised them I would be back for the next Christmas.

A dark shadow covers his face.

Why didn't i just try? College was all i needed. I didn't even have to come here.

The shadow lifts a pistol to his head.

I wish i could just go home


The author's comments:
As an aspiring writer I wrote an unorthodox micro-fiction using a juxtaposition of real time and thought to create a larger idea that what is directly conveyed. The thought and real time switches every line. Every thought is written in first person while the real time action is written in third person.