The Unknown | Teen Ink

The Unknown

Looking back at the memories I had at my grandmother’s old house gives me the chills because of all the paranormal activity that went on there. The house my grandparents lived in was originally my grandfather’s parent’s house. They both passed away in the home and their spirits still linger the home. I’ve always believed in ghosts but I never thought I would ever experience seeing a spirit.
Darkness always reflects back at me when I wake up in the middle of the night. One morning I woke up in the middle of the night and reflecting back at me was not darkness. A man rocking briskly on a rocking chair was looking right towards me and words were coming out of his mouth. I wasn’t able to understand him at all. All I could see was the movements of his lips and the rocking of his rocking chair. I tried to open and close my eyes to make sure it wasn’t just a dream. I thought to myself “am I dreaming?” Knots stirred in my stomach, echoes of every sound, and the sounds of my grandfather walking down the hallway terrified me.
I didn’t want to run with the fear of having the spirit follow me, or speak and have the spirit speak back. So I waited until I finally drifted back into a deep sleep. Hours passed since I saw the spirit and when I finally thought that when I woke up a few hours later that it would be gone it wasn’t. The thought of the spirit being there when I sleep was scary and I felt almost paranoid.
Later on that day I told my grandparents what I saw. They believed me and so I didn’t worry as much. The same thing that happened the previous night happened the next night. Finally we came to the conclusion of having to sleep with the door open. The next night I slept with the door open, and when I woke up in the middle of the night the spirit was finally gone. The memory will always make the hair on my arm stick up, and give me goose bumps. It’ll stay with me forever just like most memories in my life and if someone were to ask if I believed in ghosts, I wouldn’t hesitate to tell my experience of seeing a spirit.

Days passed since I've thought of my experience and I sometimes wonder "How would life be without the experience?" These thoughts rush through my mind as if I'm going completely psycho. That night when I went to bed I dreamt, I dreamt about that experience. It was almost as if it came alive. I was starting to be scared, and I woke up crying. That night changed my life completely.

When I wrote this story I took a memory in my past and made it come to life. It's based on a true story while some of it is made up.