Opening Morning | Teen Ink

Opening Morning

By alex warman BRONZE, Amery, Wisconsin
alex warman BRONZE, Amery, Wisconsin

It was an early morning, yet waking up at four thirty takes its toll on a man. By the time we set out on this morning, it was nearly light. I get to the stand that I was meant to sit in. The wind creaked the stand and made it scary to sit in. The cold wind took the warmth right out of my jacket along with my breath that was seen for two to three feet in front of me. The wind was blowing in big gusts right into my face. The wind in this direction meant the deer would be coming from behind me. When the sun finally peaked over the trees in front of me, the wind had calmed down almost immediately after the sun had shined its first rays over the trees. The cardinals and blue-birds started to sing along with each other, while the only squirrel in a two hundred yard radius was chipping and chirping at me the whole morning. The corn pile that was set a week before was only half gone. Than I caught a glimpse of it when the first ray of sunshine appeared on it.
By the time the sun was fully up, and I could see anything and everything, I then heard the leaves crunch three or four times before I saw what it was. A little yearling fawn appeared at the corn pile, while the doe that was with it stood weary of the corn pile took a few more steps into the clearing. It was a small doe about one and a half judging by the size. After an hour of watching them they walked away with a small trot. By the time I had checked my clock it was already nine thirty. Ten o’clock is when I was told to meet my dad and brother at the truck to go for lunch. Quarter too came around, and I decided to start the short but long walk back to the truck. When I had got to the truck my, dad and brother were already there.

Deer season at grandma’s house was the best. She always had homemade buns and jam along with her cookies. No one else could make any better. We ate peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, cookies and milk for lunch. After lunch we discussed what the plan was for the afternoon. We decided to go to the public land near our farm for a while, before heading to the same spot we sat in the morning. An hour had gone by, before we had gone to the public land and back to our original spot to sit until dark.
When I got to my stand I had saw a few deer run up the hill away from my stand. When I got up in my stand, and I got all situated in it I then heard a few big crunches from behind me. Not thinking about anything what my dad had told me about going to a different stand, I sat and listened for a while. I heard a few little crunches behind me, I turned to look and it was my dad walking up the deer trail. He had said the neighbor had walked out, told him he was on their land, my dad had no idea he crossed the fence into their land. When he left me again it was an hour until dark, the wind still blowing into my face, not big gusts like it was in the morning, just slow calm breezes. A half hour had gone by before I had saw anything. I had then seen a doe run up the hill in front of me like something was chasing it. A coyote appeared in the clearing. The coyote disappeared into the woods. Another doe appeared on the hill walking down it slow and steady like it was very cautious of its surroundings. Another deer appeared on the top of that same hill, I couldn’t tell what it was but it was following the same trail the doe had. Then in the crunching of the leaves, I caught my first glimpse of the biggest eight pointer I had ever saw in my entire life. It took it a while to walk down the hill, it walked away and I hated myself for not taking the shot it had given me. Then five minutes to dark, the sun was almost hidden behind the trees.
Then in a big crunch under my stand I looked down carefully so I wouldn’t scare whatever it was, but there he stood. I was shaking so bad I could hardly take my gloves off quietly. He looked around for a minute or two before giving me the shot of a life time. It ate some of the corn, while facing broadside to me. I pulled my gun up shaking so badly I could hardly put the cross hairs right on the vitals. I pulled the trigger firing the gun. The smoke cleared and there the deer lay, right where it stood for the last thirty seconds of its life.