Destiny | Teen Ink

Destiny

By no_way_around_it PLATINUM, Saranac Lake, New York
no_way_around_it PLATINUM, Saranac Lake, New York

With Life Comes Beauty and Pain

Destiny opened her eyes in her crib in 1997 after two weeks in the hospital. She was born with her cord wrapped around her neck causing her airway to be completely blocked. That put her mother Marie, who was a single parent, into a panic attack. With her daughters life on the line Marie could not sleep she, laid in that hospital bed for hours watching her. When Destiny opened her eyes it was as if angels were singing and the world was reborn again. Marie climbed out of bed in her hospital gown with her hair in every direction and walked slowly over to Destiny’s crib. With tears in her eyes she lifted her baby into her arms and cradled her, something she was used to doing but this time it was special. Dr. Moody walked in and was overwhelmed; the baby she fought so hard to keep alive in those few excruciating hours was awake. The next week Marie dressed in a yellow dress and hat, and walked out with her little bundle of joy rapped in a pink blanket.

After two years of living in the mountainous countryside, Destiny could not speak. Her mother had taken her to countless appointments to get her to speak but nothing worked. So Marie decided that she would take her brown-eyed girl with black hair from their large country house, the largest in their small town, to the city. She hoped by leaving all her wonderful memories behind to move to the city, Destiny would get the help she needed. Marie packed all their clothes and whatever else she could fit into her small Honda Civic. Off they went to the loud, cramped life of the city. Almost immediately Destiny fell in love with the lights that surrounded her. Marie found them a nice small apartment in Queens. There Destiny would learn the way of music.

It started on a sunny day when Destiny was three. Marie was bringing Destiny tpreschoolol so she could start work as an assistant. They walked to the big brass doors on the two-story brick building. Once the doors were open, Destiny heard sounds that were new to her ears. Her listening was distracted by a blond woman walking towards them. She was Mrs. Spitz. She was five foot six and wore a pink skirt, shirt, and shoes. She shook Marie’s hand and then brought them to the music room. Destiny entered and saw a woman dressed in blue playing the guitar and singing. Marie whispered into Mrs. Spitz’s ear. She told her that her daughter was a mute and to be patient with her. Marie then walked over to Destiny ,kissed her head, and walked out.

As Mrs. Spitz walked Destiny over to the woman with the guitar, she told the angel voiced teacher about Destiny and walked out. The teacher smiled, gave Destiny a hug, and told her that she was Miss Fill, the music teacher. Destiny smiled and followed her red haired, green-eyed teacher to the group of children.

After a while Miss Fill told the class to help her sing Twinkle Twinkle Little Star but she gave Destiny a special job. When the keys of a small, white piano that was made to help teach kids how to play lit purple, she was to hit them but she hit the right keys even before they lit up. Destiny was a pro at it, Miss Fill couldn’t believe how much raw talent she had. When Marie came to pick Destiny up after school Miss Fill offered to give her piano lesson on Saturdays. Marie sighed and told Miss Fill that Destiny had too many appointments to help with her lack of communication. Destiny’s heart sank to the deepest and darkest part of her three year old body. Miss Fill begged that Marie give her a time she could teach her, but Marie would not give in. Music was something Marie did not like for her husband James was a former Jazz player and was shot while singing at a charity concert. Destiny was grabbed by the hand and lead out of the building.

When they arrived home Marie turned on a record that Destiny had never seen. Music was rarely played in their small two-bedroom apartment. The record was old and was labeled June 20th, the day she was born. The record player looked like it had come out of one of those old 30’s pictures. It was painted green and yellow but the paint was chipped so it was hard to make out the color. It had a gold colored cone type thing on top and an old wind up lever on the side. Marie wounded the lever and sat down in her green rocking chair. The music took her back to the old days of the country as she sang the words. As the words filled, the air ,Marie began to tear up. Destiny walked over to her and laid her head on her mothers lap until she was in her arms. The words of the smooth lullaby became distant to Destiny as she drifted to sleep.

The next day was Saturday and Marie made sure to wake Destiny early. Marie dressed in her nicest clothes and walked Destiny who wore her nicest clothes as well, to the hospital, which was two blocks away. They arrived at nine and sat in the waiting room till eleven though Destiny’s appointment was at nine thirty. While in the examining room, Dr. Ell asked a few important questions: what is your race, health risks, allergies, or any diseases that run in the family. Marie politely answered African American, she was born with her air way cut off, no health risks or allergies, and I believe my husband James’ mother had liver cancer but that’s it. Dr. Ell completed the test with a swab of Destiny’s throat. All the tests came back negative so Destiny would have to return every Saturday for more tests.

Marie was hopeful but when Destiny turned sixteen, she gave up. Destiny, now in Queens High School, would sneak away from her mother to see Miss Fill in her old music room. Miss Fill taught Destiny how to play pop, hip-hop, jazz, blues and more on the piano, guitar, saxophone, and clarinet. Destiny would write notes to her mother that she was doing some extra credit thing for school but she was really going to see Miss Fill. When eighth period hit Destiny became excited. She would stare at the clock waiting for the bell to ring. When the bell rang Destiny ran out of the doors of her school onto Parkenter RD., then took a right onto River ST. to the big, old brass doors that had became so recognizable. Destiny stopped in front of the doors and reminisced on the first day there and the ten years there that followed. She slowly walked trough the doors with her long ponytail swaying.

She walked down the hall to the old music room and peered in to the door’s window. When she spotted Miss Fill, she walked in. Miss Fill wore her red hair down and wore her green flower dress. She sat on her white and light brown wooden stool holding her guitar when her eyes met Destiny’s. Miss Fill stood up and walked over to Destiny. She told Destiny that she was glad to see her and that there was nothing left to teach her but…. To sing. Destiny immediately frowned for she knew she could never sing. Miss Fill stood there smiling with an extra glow in her eyes.

Miss Fill took Destiny’s hands and said you can sing just like you can hear and write, you just need practice. Destiny hanged her head in disapproval for she felt that it was hopeless. Miss Fill lifted Destiny’s hand to her throat and sang La La La, and then she said you try. Five months later Destiny opened her mouth and out came a lovely voice. Destiny looked confused for she could not find the source of the sound that she loved so much, but, when she looked at Miss Fill and saw a smile a cross her face and a tear in her eye, she knew it was her. She shook Miss Fill’s hand and ran home.

She ran up the steps to her home opened the door and ran to the kitchen where her mother was cooking. She slowly walked to her and sang La La La. Her mother turned shocked and confused. Then Destiny did it again La La La. That night Destiny tock out that old record and fell asleep to it. She listened to it every night since.

When she turned twenty-three, Destiny released her first song. It had taken her years to be able, to talk, but she could speak as well as anybody. Destiny became a singer with her mother’s support behind her.