What lies ahead | Teen Ink

What lies ahead

By Ali Mulla BRONZE, Daphne, Alabama
Ali Mulla BRONZE, Daphne, Alabama

“I say we take the kayak down to the bay at around 12:00,” said Ed. “Will do,” answered bob. Bob and Ed had been experienced outdoorsmen for most of their lives in Southern Alabama. They knew their way through every well known forest, trail and river in the area. They were soon to head out on a 3 day kayaking trip from Mobile bay to Gulf shores Alabama. They had packed an ample amount of food and numerous bottles of water for this trip. This would be on of Bob and Ed’s longer kayaking trips.

At noon Bob and Ed, along with their friend, Scott drove the two person kayak to the bay front access. Bob and Ed removed the kayak from Scott’s Subaru Forester and Scott drove away. They for the boat in the water and started paddling Southeast towards gulf shores. They covered miles in a few hours. Night time soon came. Bob and Ed considered this to be the best part of a kayaking adventure. They always brought flashlights in events like this, and this trip was no exception. They mounted the light on the front of the boat and moved on. They came close to several islands in the bay and spotted many alligators, herons, and fish jumping. A full moon was out and gave good visibility for the two of them.

By morning, they are halfway to their destination when they notice a very small amount of water in the boat. They both just scooped it up with a littered Styrofoam cup they picked up along the way, and ignored it. They knew it was nothing serious. About an hour later, that small amount of water was back and seemed a bit larger this time. They scooped it out with the Styrofoam cup again, but suddenly, while scooping this water up, the back end of the boat hits a large piece of driftwood hard. Within minutes, the boat begins taking in a very noticeable amount of water. They look frantically for the pump, but seem to have left it in the car. The boat starts descending into the deep water. Then comes a voice saying “Bob, wake up. It’s noon. Scott’s here.” Bob opens his eyes and finds himself on his couch. Ed then repeats “wake up Bob, It’s noon and Scott’s here.”

Alabama nature