This House Was Abandoned | Teen Ink

This House Was Abandoned

December 31, 2011
By Little_Miss_Jo_ BRONZE, Johnston, Iowa
Little_Miss_Jo_ BRONZE, Johnston, Iowa
4 articles 0 photos 15 comments

Favorite Quote:
The greatest weakness of most humans is their hesitancy to tell others how much they love them while they're alive


The sun shone through the windows casting honey brown lines across the wall and creating what would be a typically romantic mood, but this house was abandoned. The only furniture was a simple couch and wooden end-table, both covered with a white cloth. The walls were a light brown, the floor elegant wood. This house had one floor, but it was grand. Nearly every room was opened into the next, there were only two doors, one, of course to the bathroom, and the other a wide wood one with 2 rows of four glass plates, placed on the front of the house to welcome guests. No one used it anymore though, so it stood dusty and faded. The whole house was dusty and faded, but it managed to keep its beauty and grandeur. And I knew as I sat in the middle of it watching the sun sink below the horizon, that the conceited adults would want to tear it down and use the land for something "newer and better" for some reason unable to see its actual potential. I swore that i would protect it, so that those lucky enough to discover it can enjoy its beauty. Can sit and listen to the birds chatter, the wind whisper to the trees, the squirrels chatter as they search for food, the jangle of the old rusted wind chime hanging outside. So they can watch the sun lines on the wall sink with the sun, watch the trees bow to greet the ground, the robins pecking the ground to feed their children and fill their nests, watch as the caramel leaves slowly spiral down one by one. So they can close their eyes and breathe in the musty air, filled with the sweet smell of dewy grass, dry parchment. So they can run their fingers on the coarse white cloth covering the furniture, the smooth wooden floors, the cold glass windows on the door. So they can find a haven, a place to relax, a place to lose, and a place to find. This house was abandoned.

The author's comments:
haha so I got inspired to write this as I was sitting at my uncles and watched the sun cast shadows on the wall as it sank. So please tell me what you think!