The Artist | Teen Ink

The Artist

By Lucky007 BRONZE, Park City, Utah
Lucky007 BRONZE, Park City, Utah
4 articles 1 photo 1 comment

Sometimes I lie awake at night and ask myself: Is life a multiple choice test, or a true and false test? Then a voice comes out of the dark and says "We hate to tell you this, but life is a thousand word essay."

The artist dabbed on the final touches of her painting and smiled with satisfaction. In a couple minutes, she was going to have her work shown at an art show and possibly have it sold. Being a full-time artist, she could really use the money. I don’t know why nobody ever buys my art, she thought to herself. I’m sure that will change today. She put a drape over her painting and carried it out the door.

At the show, she stood proudly by her painting, all dressed up. She noticed something strange, though. Nobody was coming and gazing at her work like they were with all the other paintings. They just strolled by, glanced at it for half a second, and would continue walking. Absolutely nobody was taking the time to appreciate her masterpiece.

Right then, a man wearing glasses walked by.

“Excuse me, sir?” she said, stopping him. “You didn’t look at mine very long. Why not? You’ve taken the time to look at everybody else’s.”

“Well, with all-due-respect, yours is just a bit bizarre for my taste.”

“It is not!” she protested, looking back at it.

“Ma’am, your painting is of two iguanas wearing dresses that are made out of spaghetti.”

“That’s not that weird.”

“Maybe not, but one of the iguanas is stabbing the other one with a knife. And the one that’s being stabbed is spewing out tomato sauce.”

The lady’s face turned red in fury. “You wouldn’t know great art if it hit you in the face!”

At that, the women raised the painting in the air and smashed it clear through his head.

I wrote this in Creative Writing at school and am quite proud of it.

coolriter said...
This piece has a really strong beginning! You should definitely expand it!