Hidden | Teen Ink

Hidden

November 30, 2011
By skyfall SILVER, Baltimore, Maryland
skyfall SILVER, Baltimore, Maryland
5 articles 0 photos 0 comments

She paced the floor, waiting for him to come home. She had taken a shower as soon as she had come home, and her hair splashed small droplets on all that she walked by. This marriage was a mistake. She heard the door squeak and open and scurried towards the foyer. “Hi, dear.” He said, a nervous smile on his face. She did not know it, but he was regretting the day they said “I do” as well, but for a completely different reason. “How was your day?” She closed her eyes at those words, the ones he asked every day but she could never get the courage to answer honestly.

“Fine.” She lied once again. “How was yours?” She was only asking that to be polite, honestly, though she loved him as a friend, she realized how this marriage would never work. She could never love him.

“What? Oh, fine. We have a new secretary at work.” And I kissed her. He thought. And I will do it again. “And we’re starting a new project.” He added that last bit on so she wouldn’t get suspicious about the secretary, with her long chestnut hair and striking green eyes.

She didn’t even register about the secretary. “Listen, I need to tell you something.” There. That was a start. All she needed to do then was to say those three words. His phone began to vibrate.

It was her. The secretary. Asking for him, and right then, she was so much more important to him then his wife. “Can it wait ‘till, tonight, honey? There’s an emergency meeting at work.”

“Well, yes. Go on to work.” She clasped her hands behind her back to try to keep them from shaking.

“Bye.” He kissed her on the cheek. “Love you.” He closed the door before she could respond back. She sat on the steps behind her as tears fell from her face.

“I don’t.” She said to the emptiness. “I love women.”