My moms note. | Teen Ink

My moms note.

By MattWeen BRONZE, Lancaster, Pennsylvania
MattWeen BRONZE, Lancaster, Pennsylvania

My Saturday started as it usually does. With the buzzer of my alarm clock waking me from my questionably good night of sleep. I slowly hunch my way over to the bathroom to start my morning routine. Once showered and dressed: I finally make my way down stair and into the kitchen. Like most Saturday mornings, I was the only one home. I started to walk up to the fridge when I noticed a small piece of paper on the counter. It couldn't have been any bigger than a sticky note. It was a note from my mom. I could tell because of the cryptic handwriting that she considers to be her form of cursive. After squinting my eyes and processing the lettering for a second, I finally made out her note. It said, “Walter got into the basement again. Please don’t go down there. I’ll take care of it when I get home.”

In shock I dropped the note and thought about what she could have meant by this. I didn’t know any Walter. Why did she say again? And why would she keep him down there until she got home? So of course the first thing I did was run to the basement. I opened the door and looked down at the bottom of the stairs. Not daring to go down to turn the light on I tried looking through the darkness for a face. I found nothing. I started getting freaked out, so I yelled down and said, “Walter, Is anyone down there.”

No response. I decided that the only way to find out what was really going on was to go down. I found myself taking my time walking down the steps because with every step I took, more of the basement came into my field of vision. Almost to the bottom I look out into the darkness of the room once more. Everywhere I looked the outline of a body appeared. Knowing that it was all just junk that had been transformed in my mind out of fear; I made a fast dash for the light switch. The light illuminated the room. Showing the phantoms in my mind for what they really were. See no sigh of life I from my initial scan of the room I decide to look further. I made my way to the back of the room hoping that my mom was playing some kind of joke when I stopped in a frozen state.

Still unable to move, I felt a cool liquid being absorb into my left sock. I look down to find that I had stepped into a puddle of water. I followed the puddle back until I reached the wall where the source of the puddle came from. As I stood there pondering it, I suddenly looked up to the ceiling mouth wide open and just smiling. It was as if I had found the cure for cancer. I ran back upstairs to the kitchen. I scrambled to the floor to pick up my moms note, as if it was a winning lottery ticket. After knowing what the note was supposed to say, the words became very clear upon the second viewing. While still shaking my head at myself, I couldn't help but laugh while reading it, “Water got into the basement again. Please don’t go down there. I’ll take care of it when I get home.”

OceanLily SILVER, Huntsville, Alabama

"Don't swing on a string, its much to frail, the best kind of swing it is a Tigger's tail."

~Roo

What a perfect well rounded, hilarious story...You had me filled with anticipation. I was holding my breath the whole thing, until the water part in which I burst out into laughter...nicely done!

MidnightNow1127 GOLD, Brentwood, California

"Christus nos liberavit!"

That is hilarious! I'm sure that's happened to me more than once or twice! Well done *claps* Well done.