The couple that once was. | Teen Ink

The couple that once was.

By Karla15 GOLD, -, Arizona
Karla15 GOLD, -, Arizona

As the tide washed in the Dutch tulip man faced the ocean, "Conjoiner rejoinder poisoner concealer revelator, look at it: rising up and rising down, taking everything with it."
"What's that?" Anna asked.
"Water," said the Dutchman, "Well, and time."

I hated lying to him. Because then it meant that I didn't trust him. But I do trust him. It's just, sometimes when someone loves you so much and you love them back, you would do anything to protect them. Even if it meant jumping in front of a bullet or even just scolding them for something they did. Either way I just wanted to protect him, never hurt him. I didn't plan to see him cry, I didn't want to see him hurt, and most of all I didn't want for him to walk away. I didn't know that not telling him something would make him walk away from me and never look back as if I was never here or as if we never smiled. It was as I never existed in his life. And one way or another I knew I would never see him again. Because life does that. It twists and turns you into different directions just so you could be happy for a while and then make it all disappear in a matter of seconds. And I didn't want to be another one of those couples that didn't make it, I didn't want to be one of those little gossip topics. No, I wanted to be the couple that still looked at each other with love in their eyes even though they've seen each others flaws. Even though they've been married for a million billion years. I wanted to be that couple. But we weren't and we won't and we never will be.