Leaving | Teen Ink

Leaving

December 14, 2011
By Katsa13 GOLD, Axtell, Texas
Katsa13 GOLD, Axtell, Texas
11 articles 0 photos 5 comments

Favorite Quote:
Don't make someone a priority if all you are to them is an option - Josh Shipp


An old rocking chair. Posters tacked on the walls. Computer desk hiding in the corner. Dresser next to the door. This is my room. This is my home. It's the only place that is completely mine. It knows the secrets that I couldn't bear to tell anyone else. Tomorrow, all that would change.
A knock comes on the door, and my mom sticks her head inside. "You need to get to bed, honey. We have a big day tomorrow." I refrain from glaring at her. How can she make this sound like such a good thing? However, I smile and nod, like a good daughter. She smiles back and leaves my room, quietly closing the door behind her.
I sit in my rocking chair that I got from my great-grandma, blankly staring at a spot on the wall. I can't imagine how much my life will change. Before I know it, I've slipped into sleep.
The next morning, I wake up to the sound of an almost silent knocking. I groan and rub the back of my neck, which aches from sleeping in the chair. I get up and open the door to see my eight-year-old sister, Katherine. She looks up at me with soft, chocolate-brown eyes that automatically make me smile. "Mom says get ready. Why did you sleep so late? Aren't you excited?" she asks all in a rush. Am I the only one dreading today? I gather her in my arms and squeeze her in a tight hug until she squeals. I put her down and laugh as she quickly runs away to her room. I turn back to my own room to get ready. Each second seems to be dragging me deeper into despair, but Katherine will always be there as my little sunshine. No one can be in a bad mood with her around. But now that she's gone, I feel like I'm being sucked back into sorrow.
At breakfast, Katherine and Mom chatter together excitedly while I listen unenthusiastically. Neither seems to notice my silence. A few minutes after breakfast, trucks come up the driveway with familiar faces in the windows. They're all here to say goodbye and to help us out. My mom immediately sets everyone to work.
After what seems like seconds, although I'm pretty sure it's been hours, most of the house has been cleared of our possessions. Only my room still contains most of its things. I can't bring myself to do it. I can't take down the curtains. I can't pack the books. I'm afraid that when we leave, these things won't feel like mine anymore. Memories of my school and friends are dragging me, causing me to move slowly. I eventually come to a standstill in the middle of my room. There's no way I can do this. I cant leave my life and start a new one. I'm not good with new people, and I'm scared.
Suddenly, I realize I'm not the only one in the room. I turn to find Katherine standing at my door. She closes the distance between us and wraps her tiny arms around my waist. After a moment, she looks up into my eyes. I know then that she gets what I'm going through. How could I be so selfish? She has a home here, too. She has friends just like me. I feel selfish and guilty that I haven't been there for her. Then again, she never really needed me. After all, she's the one comforting me at the moment. Now, I don't care how young she is. I need to tell someone how I feel. "Kat, I'm so scared. I've never lived anywhere else. I don,t know what to do. I don't know what to expect." I'm surprised to find tears falling down my face.
Kat smiles sadly at me. "Jelly," she says, smiling at the name she had given me before she could say my full name, Angelia. "Home is where you are. It's not defined by the place or the belongings. Besides, when do we ever know what to expect from life?" she asks, and I'm astounded. I always knew she was special, but she has a wisdom beyond her years. "Anyways, I'll be with you the whole time to help you," she said smugly. I laugh at the thought of this little girl helping me. But then I realized I do need her. She's my anchor that keeps me tied to my sanity. I've always needed her help. I always will.
"Come on," she says, finally letting go of me. She moves over to my shelf and starts putting all my books in a box. I join her. With her help, I'm finished within the hour. I then get one of my mom's friends to help me take the boxes and furniture to the trucks.
Soon, we're leaving our house behind. I look back one last time for a final goodbye. Now, I feel like I can finally let go. I turn back to the front, to the road ahead, to the future. Yes, I am afraid, but I'll fight through. I'll find my place, no matter how strange this new place may seem. I look to my left. Kat is looking at me, and we smile at each other, a new feeling creeping through me. Excitement. It washes away all fear, and I know that as long as I have my sister by my side, I'll be okay.
When I falter, she will help me stand. When I'm blind, she will help me see. When I am lost, she will help me find my way. Hopefully, there will come a time when I can do the same for her.
After all, that's what sisters are for, right?


The author's comments:
I recently had to move, which inspired this story. However, that seems to be the only similarity between my life and the story. Still, I hope you enjoy.