Change II | Teen Ink

Change II

December 3, 2011
By Anonymous

Escape. I was offered an escape. The next year I moved to a bigger city. I went from a school of about 400 to a school with about 2300. I was ready for a change. I dressed how I wanted to dress, I looked how I wanted to, and nobody said anything. I was actually complimented on my fashion. A month into school I made a friend. She was amazing. She didn’t judge me. Our friendship grew. Another month went by and we considered eachother best friends.

I’d go to some football games in my hometown. I went back and it was like someone pressed the play button and I was right back where I left off. Only one friend of mine was still the same. He wasn’t my best friend, but after that I consider him as one.

When I would go back, I put up this front. I wanted everyone to know that I was better off in the city. I wanted to look like I was too good for them, and I was. I was happy. There was no way I was going to go back to that. How could I go back to that when I experienced something better. You could almost see the satisfaction on my face when people didn’t recognize me. I may miss some people, but not enough to want to go back. I don’t ever want to feel like that again. I am accepted. I have people I relate to, and honestly why have a stereotype when all I can be is me.


The author's comments:
Part 2 of change. Loosely based on real life.