The Day I Lost My Best Friend | Teen Ink

The Day I Lost My Best Friend

December 12, 2011
By Anonymous

It was summer and some friends and I were on the beach. It was almost midnight. I started to say bye to everyone.
"Bye Michael and everyone else!"I said as i ran up to Michael and gave him a hug.
"You coming over tomorrow right?" Michael said with a huge smile across his face.
"Of course i am. We always hang out on Saturday and watch movies!"
I started walking away and said bye one last time.
"Bye y'all!"
All of them waved bye.
As i got into my silver new Jeep, I looked over at them one more time and thought I saw more people over there, maybe i was just imagining that. After ten minutes in the car i got home. I unlocked the door to a pitch dark house.
"Everyone must be asleep." I thought.
I tiptoed slowly to my room, so no one would wake up. I changed into a purple shirt and a pair of black Nike shorts.
It was twelve p.m. and Michael still hasn't called or text me back. i didn't know if i should call him or not, maybe he wasn't even up yet. I finally decided to call him. He answered after the third try.
"Hey Grace," he said taking a pause sounding nervous about something. "Why do you sound nervous, what happened after i left?"
He didn't said anything.
"Michael please answer me.."
"Will you come over?"
"Yeah, I'll be right there."
As i walked up to the door i was getting nervous about what he was going to tell me. Michael was at the door.
"Hey Grace," he stammered. "Thanks for coming."
"Well you sounded pretty urgent. What's wrong?"
"Well last night, after you left, someone pulled out some beer, and, well, i tried some and it kinda got out of hand. so i went to drive home, and..."
"And what?" I asked hesitantly.
"I got in ans accident. I hit another car head on and killed someone. Someone died because of me Grace! Because of ME!!" He was crying hysterically by this point.
"Michael, shh, it's okay. We all make mistakes. Just ask God for comfort, and he will help..."
"NO Grace! He won't help me! Did you not hear me?! Someone is dead because of MY decision!"
After that, i couldn't talk anymore. I just let him cry it all out, and let him calm down. We sat holding each other for awhile, for comfort and strength.
"Michael, I'm sorry..."
"Don't be Grace," he replied softly.
He exhaled strongly before saying,"I wanted you to come over so i could say goodbye. You have been my best friend for who-knows-how-long. But Grace, I can't deal with the guilt anymore!"
"No, No Michael, let me help you, please don't do this!"
"No one cant help me, not even you... I've made my decision. I love you!"
He kissed me on the cheek and then walked back inside. "Michael," I stared crying. Then a gun made its horrifying band in the scene.
"MICHAEL!!" Grace fell on the ground crying and whispered "I love you..."