What Now? | Teen Ink

What Now?

November 17, 2011
By mariaepardi BRONZE, San Jose, Other
mariaepardi BRONZE, San Jose, Other
1 article 0 photos 2 comments

Favorite Quote:
“You know that place between sleep and awake? The place where you can still remember dreaming. That’s where I’ll always love you. That’s where I’ll be waiting.”
—Peter Pan


It was two thirty in the morning. I only knew one thing. I had survived a sixty miles an hour car crash. The rest was blank information. Where am I? How did I get here? Who am I with? I asked myself these simple questions and felt stupid as I realized I was unable to answer them myself. I kept calm. I knew answers would come soon.

I suppose that an hour had passed when I had begun to have the slightest amount of reason in me. Memories of the latest event in my life started flashing across my mind. They where like blurry pictures, it was hard to see what was going on, but the rest of the feelings from the event that I was able to rescue, helped me understand the images better.

I remember, I was in a red truck driving through the highway. I was listening to music really loud. It was rock music. There was a tourist bus involved. I was in a hospital. I knew that for sure. I knew that I had suffered a lot of blood loss, my memories told me that. And then there was my dad. My dad! I thought to myself. Everything had happened so quickly. It was all so violent. I had forgotten completely about him, and I can tell you for sure that that was something he didn’t deserve.

As I realized this, I have to say that what I did was something very stupid. I jumped out of my bed. I had cables connecting to basically every part of my body. Those cables where the reason I was still alive, but I didn’t care about it. I wanted to know where my dad was. That was all I wanted. I knew that I could faint any second, I felt dizzy. But I had a feeling something was wrong with my dad.

The hallway, either it was a living h*ll in which people desperately searched for help or I was hallucinating. There were people screaming, kids crying and phones ringing. There was a lot of tension. There were many doors waiting to be opened…doors in which you would find desperate people like me. It was completely blank, blank walls, blank floor tiles, and blank ceilings. I wanted one thing out of this long and old hall and that was knowledge. Where is my dad? I want my dad. I need my dad. Please don’t leave me dad. These words consecutively repeated in my mind as I ran down the hall. I was desperate. I was tripping as I tried to make my way to the information counter. I lifted my robe as I ran to avoid major injuries. Then I saw the information counter, my salvation.

I approached it carefully. Don’t do it! It might not be the answer you want. I told myself. But I had to ask. I had to know for sure what was happening. “Excuse me sir…” The man just stared at me. He looked prepared to say something terrible. “I want to know in what room is Michael Adams?”

He remained silent for a minute or two. He searched the name in his computer. He put a “what do I do now?” look on his face. Then he said. “I’m sorry boy…” I knew where this was leading. “Mr. Michael Adams passed away.”

That was when I asked myself…what now?