Valentine's Day

I watched in disgust as happy couples walked the halls, holding hands and kissing unnecessarily every three steps. Boys roamed around with bouquets of roses, each one searching for his girlfriend. The girls were all dressed in either pink or red. Me? I was perfectly fine in my ripped blue jeans and black tank top. It was February, but cold weather never bothered me.

Someone ran by and dropped a card addressed to his sweetheart. I stomped my black combat boot on to the rose colored envelope and smiled.

"Is this yours?" I asked sweetly. Both he and I knew perfectly well that my boot was marking the envelope with mud with each passing second. He looked up at me and smiled meekly. The look of terror in his eyes humored me. I had forgotten how many little freshmen were terrified of me.

"I-i-it's for my girlfriend. C-can you please take your foot off it?" He seemed scared to ask such a simple question. I laughed at his insecurity and lifted up my foot. He quickly grabbed the mud-stained card and ran. I glanced to my left and scoffed at the couple making out in front of some poor sap's locker.

"Get a room," I muttered as I walked past. All this lovey-dovey romance was making me sick. I needed to get to homeroom. My homeroom teacher, Mr. Schoenstadt, didn't allow romance in his classroom. And may God bless him for that.

***************

I had peace and quiet for all of five minutes before Bryce sauntered into the room. Bryce had been my best friend for years, ever since I saved his sorry butt from bullies in first grade. I was shocked to see that he was carrying daisies, my favorite flower. What? I may have been the tough girl, but I still liked flowers. He cleared his throat to signal his arrival. I looked up from my sketchbook to let him know he had my somewhat full attention.

"Hey Jules," Bryce said in a semi-shaking voice. "Be my valentine?" He held the daisies out to me and smiled. Beads of sweat were glistening on his forehead. His blue eyes continuously shifted focus as he ran a shaking hand through his spiked black hair. Half of me was expecting him to spew out a pathetic love poem, so I took a brief pause before answering. When he didn't make a complete fool of himself, I turned back to my sketchbook. I thought for a while before I finally looked at him again. He was still smiling, waiting for me to say yes.

"Hey Bryce, did I ever mention that I hate Valentine's Day?"

SnowflakesThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Haha this made me smile! I was expecting a mushy kind of story, but this was obviously very different. I like your tone in your writing, you really get the characters through well. 

DifferentTeenThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Valentines Day is the most pointless holiday. As one of my favorite pictures saved on my computer says, " Happy unimaginative, consumerist-oriented and entirely arbitrary, manipulative and shallow interpretation of romance day!" Yes, because chocolates and cards full all of the stuff that every girl wants to hear, even though they really don't mean it, is just the perfect gift from your boyfriend. Even though its totally unoriginal and has no feelings behind it. Well, anyway I love... (more »)

NitashaSThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Oh wow she really doesn't like Valentine's Day D: Well, not that I like it much either but it's humorous how much she despises it. And poor Bryce! Awww he must have been mustering up the courage to ask her for a while and she just shot him down >.< Bad timing on his part I guess xD I like how it was written, short and sweet. :)

WSwilliamsThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jul. 20, 2012 at 1:18 pm:
So true!... so true. This story.... i can't type the words right now but it's good, that's all I'll say.

luv2bLDSThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jun. 27, 2012 at 12:08 am:

Ahahaha I love it! I can totally relate! You are an amazing writer! Don't ever stop writing!

Poor Bryce :/

these-roses said...
Jun. 24, 2012 at 10:09 am:
awww poor bryce! its a great story though. i didn't want it to end were it did lol

KateLAThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
I like it a lot, because I feel the same way regarding Valentine's day, and I'm always the one scoffing at the other couples :-(. 5/5! Great job writing this!

Allicat001This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Really good!  I feel terrible for Bryce!  I would have liked it if the ending was a little less sudden than it was, but otherwise this was really well written and you did an amazing job:)

kingofwritersThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Poor Bryce. :/ Nice job with the story, by the way! I read Lucifer and it was also really good! You're a great writer! :)

greg9381 said...
Ooh, very interesting...I didn't want it to end where it did, haha

HonorThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Jan. 23, 2012 at 6:32 am :
Oh man, poor Bryce! He must be crushed!

RandomscreennamelalalalaThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Aug. 26, 2012 at 8:53 pm :
It was great, but it felt a bit cut-off. It caught me off gaurd when you said she was a girl, so that's good. I think it could have been even more powerful if you flipped the ending and she said 'You know Bryce, I used to hate Valentines Day.'