My Soldiers

They are gone, all of them. I am sad to watch my soldiers leave me. I will miss their warm touch and their beautiful eyes. What eyes, unmoving, that stare into nothing forever more. Yes, I shall miss that very much, but I will truly miss the feeling as the fall into my arms, limp and cold. The way their body arcs as it falls is a wonderful thing. Just the thought of that makes me happy.

Though their bodies leave me, their minds I shall keep. These I will never release, for I deserve them. Long after I am dead, it is these minds that will keep me alive, for these minds will write books, and in these books, I am immortalized. Oh my soldiers, you are so good to me. I love you my soldiers, and may you will always think of me.

I know my soldiers will return, for those are their orders. Though they will groan and hang their heads, I will be delighted to see them. I will embrace them and take them in. My grip will be so tight; none of them will leave me again. They will be with me forever. Forever my soldiers.

I am not a, simply a grave. I am the battlefield.

Inperfect_AngelThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
this is amazing piece truly one of my favorites I have read on this site in the last 20 months.. please keep writing

Donahue8 replied...
thank you so much :) i appreciate it!

naughtygirl17 said...
i loved it! the ending was amazing!

Donahue8 replied...
aww thanks!

swifthearth said...

Very good and suspensive, just perfect.

sunshine7223 replied...
I love the ending! This is really good! Great job! :))

Donahue8 replied...
thanks :) soo much

ByThisBlindingLight said...
The last line was perfect ^^ I loved it all

Donahue8 replied...
Nov. 30, 2011 at 5:50 am
thanks so much!!! actualy the last like should say "I am not a killer, simply a grave. I am the battlefield." The word killer somehow got deleted. but thanks means a lot to me. I worked really hard on this.

jcrisp said...
wow this is really powerful, really had me surprised with the last line too :)

Donahue8 replied...
Nov. 30, 2011 at 5:51 am

thanks, i tried to make it so you wouldn't be able to tell the narrator till the end.

Loki17 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Haunting! At first I thought the speaker was Death... nice twist with the battlefield.  You might want to edit more carefully before posting though.

Donahue8 replied...

I think it got a little messed up when i copied it over, like i hit buttons and stuff by mistake

BeyondTheBrooke said...
wow really good!