My Soldiers

They are gone, all of them. I am sad to watch my soldiers leave me. I will miss their warm touch and their beautiful eyes. What eyes, unmoving, that stare into nothing forever more. Yes, I shall miss that very much, but I will truly miss the feeling as the fall into my arms, limp and cold. The way their body arcs as it falls is a wonderful thing. Just the thought of that makes me happy.

Though their bodies leave me, their minds I shall keep. These I will never release, for I deserve them. Long after I am dead, it is these minds that will keep me alive, for these minds will write books, and in these books, I am immortalized. Oh my soldiers, you are so good to me. I love you my soldiers, and may you will always think of me.

I know my soldiers will return, for those are their orders. Though they will groan and hang their heads, I will be delighted to see them. I will embrace them and take them in. My grip will be so tight; none of them will leave me again. They will be with me forever. Forever my soldiers.

I am not a, simply a grave. I am the battlefield.

Inperfect_Angel said...
this is amazing piece truly one of my favorites I have read on this site in the last 20 months.. please keep writing

Donahue8 replied...
Feb. 9, 2012 at 3:04 pm :
thank you so much :) i appreciate it!

naughtygirl17 said...
i loved it! the ending was amazing!

Donahue8 replied...
Dec. 2, 2011 at 6:53 pm :
aww thanks!

swifthearth said...

Very good and suspensive, just perfect.

sunshine7223 replied...
Dec. 2, 2011 at 6:38 pm :
I love the ending! This is really good! Great job! :))

Donahue8 replied...
Dec. 2, 2011 at 6:54 pm :
thanks :) soo much

ByThisBlindingLightThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
The last line was perfect ^^ I loved it all

Donahue8 replied...
Nov. 30, 2011 at 5:50 am :
thanks so much!!! actualy the last like should say "I am not a killer, simply a grave. I am the battlefield." The word killer somehow got deleted. but thanks means a lot to me. I worked really hard on this.

jcrisp said...
wow this is really powerful, really had me surprised with the last line too :)

Donahue8 replied...
Nov. 30, 2011 at 5:51 am :

thanks, i tried to make it so you wouldn't be able to tell the narrator till the end.

Loki17This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Haunting! At first I thought the speaker was Death... nice twist with the battlefield.  You might want to edit more carefully before posting though.

Donahue8 replied...
Nov. 28, 2011 at 8:52 pm :

I think it got a little messed up when i copied it over, like i hit buttons and stuff by mistake

BeyondTheBrookeThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
wow really good!