On that Day | Teen Ink

On that Day

By FaithInWriting SILVER, Port St Lucie, Florida
FaithInWriting SILVER, Port St Lucie, Florida

That day started out so good. Like any other I woke up to birds singing and the sun shining down on me. I got dressed and ready for work. A typical day in the beautiful city. I started to walk down the street to my usual bus stop. I was feeling confident and ready to work hard that day! The bus took me down town like every day I had ever taken it. I stepped off the bus and started to walk down the street to Starbucks. A double Espresso that cost $5.47 dollars, ridiculous, yet still I paid it and walked on, still making my way towards my destination: work. And then I heard a strange sound. A whirring noise that sounded like an airplane, an airplane that was far too close to the ground, and then I looked up and saw it. The first plane hit its target and a terrible feeling washed over me. I cried out loud “Oh God no!” as did hundreds of other people that were across the street from the World Trade Center. Tears washed down my face on that day. Then the second plane hit and I heard screaming as the fire started to engulf the upper half of the buildings and smoke began to pour out of the windows. I started crying even harder as the person next to me began to vomit. I dropped my Espresso. And then I heard the most horrible sound I have ever heard in my life. The sound of desperate people’s bodies meeting the pavement below. Thwack Thwack Thwack. I wretched and tried to hold down the things in my stomach as tears continued to pour out of my face. I trembled in fear and stood there frozen in time. Sirens blared as ambulances and fire trucks raced about. Citizens everywhere wailed and ran, tripping over other people and pieces of fallen building and rubble. More bodies began to fall. The looks of terror, forever imprinted on the victims’ faces who willingly jumped to their death. Then suddenly a fireman came and swept me away putting me behind a barricade telling me to stay here. I was so shocked, I trembled not registering exactly what was going on. I walked down the street, zoned out, everything was in a blur. I didn’t understand. Somehow I got home, I opened the door and dropped everything at my feet and shut the door behind me. I stumbled over to my couch and turned on the TV. The more I watched the news the more I cried, and cried, and cried. Thwack Thwack Thwack. I’ll never forget hearing that sound on that day.

Inspired by 9/11

on Dec. 4 2011 at 11:20 pm
awensman95 SILVER, Alexandria, Minnesota

"All dreams come true if we have the courage to pursue them." - Walt Disney

I can really feel your pain in this story.