Fine. | Teen Ink

Fine.

By --sarah SILVER, Andover, Massachusetts
--sarah SILVER, Andover, Massachusetts

Far away there in the sunshine are my highest aspirations. I may not reach them, but I can look up and see their beauty, believe in them, and try to follow where they lead.
~Louisa May Alcott

She laughs, shaking off the seriousness of the questions we slip so delicately into conversation. When she isn’t looking, our eyes meet secretly across the table. I can see the worry in their eyes. I think she sees it too. “Seriously, guys,” she tells us, “You don’t have to worry about me.” I look down at my fingers, picking nervously at the polish on my nails. Something inside me wants to believe her. That girl inside me that knows how it feels to be called anorexic, who knows how it feels to be accused of not eating: she wants to believe her; she wants to smile and hug her and say we were wrong, we trust her. But there’s another voice inside my head, playing back of all those health classes about eating disorders and the warning signs that people often miss. That voice is screaming at me that something is wrong. And I can’t keep believing her when she tells me she’s fine.

on Nov. 27 2011 at 3:29 pm
CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." --Douglas Adams

"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." --Marcus Aurelius

This is short, sweet and to the point.  I love how you describe how the main character is feeling about her friend having an eating disorder.  My only criticism is that the dialogue should go on a new line.  Other than that, excellent work!  Keep writing! :)

on Nov. 27 2011 at 3:22 pm
GretaGibson PLATINUM, Vancouver, Other
this is beautiful. its short and sweet and being someone who's personally delt with a few situations like this, its really nice to read about something so real

pinkowl BRONZE said...
on Nov. 27 2011 at 3:21 pm
pinkowl BRONZE, Tyrone, Pennsylvania

Jeremiah 29:11

WOW, THIS IS GREAT! i love how clearly you described the setting, i could vision it in my head. i also love how the narrator is having a battle inside her head, i love it! very relateable! awesome work! i love how it's short... but has such meaning! keep writing! <3