Theodore. | Teen Ink

Theodore.

By SavannahSpiders BRONZE, Hooksett, New Hampshire
SavannahSpiders BRONZE, Hooksett, New Hampshire

Nona looked around the empty room. She was alone, all alone with this tiny little creature in her arms. She ran her fingers along the curve of his little face.

“Theodore,” she murmured, “you look so much like your daddy.”

The baby shifted in her arms. The nurses had wrapped him up well and she was thankful for that. She shivered and looked around the barren room again, hoping someone would magically appear.

He had a crop of dark red hair on top of his head. She ghosted her finger over it. She smiled at just how soft he was. She cooed at him and kissed the top of his head. She inhaled deeply and took in his clean baby smell. He was hers, all hers.

The clock ticked on the wall opposite her. 11:29 p.m. Exactly one day ago, she had been curled up in her bed, drifting to sleep, her fiancé on the phone. And then her water broke. So began the grueling process that was her 16-hour labor. The nurses gave her so many looks. Another teen mother? This one doesn’t even have anyone with her. Where’s the father? She didn’t have the heart to say anything. To tell them that her fiancé lived however many states away due to work. To tell them that he was on his way, she just didn’t know when he would arrive.

She didn’t care about the nurses now. She had her son; soon she would have her fiancé. Soon, everything would be okay. She tucked a piece of hair behind her ear as her phone vibrated on the side table next to her. She leaned a little to the right, to check whom it was. The screen read ‘Garrett’. She smiled and slowly slid her arm out from under the tiny, sleeping mass on top of her. She hit the little green button on her phone.

“Hello?” she whispered.

“N-Nona,” he panted, “I’m here. I’m at the check in desk now. My flight just landed and I got over here as soon as possible.”

“See you soon, handsome.”

Her face lit up as she hung up. She kissed Teddy’s head again and smiled against his skin. She heard a knock on the door and looked up. It was another one of the nurses. She frowned slightly.

“Visitor,” she scowled.
Nona craned her neck and smiled as she saw her fiancé. His sky blue eyes shone as he ran his fingers through his dark red hair. His eyes slowly traveled to the bundle in his fiancé’s arms and he bit his lip.
“Hi there, Daddy,” she smiled and propped herself up against the headboard of the hospital bed, “I’d like you to meet Theodore Grey. Teddy.”
He stretched his arms out and picked up the itty-bitty bundle. He kissed the top of his son’s head and looked over at Nona.
“You know, I didn’t think my life could get anymore perfect,” Garrett smiled.
“Surprise.” Nona laughed as she kissed his cheek softly.