Heartbreak for Love

My best friend fell in love with my boyfriend. I guess I noticed her attraction to him. Her flirtatious attitude, her obsession. But more importantly, is how I should have noticed him, falling for her. Their subconscious flirting slapped me in the face: 'wake up from this daydream.'

Later-when I confronted him-he apologized, unable to lie to me. His apology was sincere, his pain shown brightly through his eyes. It hurt him, to hurt me, and that is why I loved him. So I told him to ask her out, and my heart broke.

He looked at me shocked. I told him that despite what ever the hell he was feeling, I still loved him. I loved him and her, and I wanted them both to be happy. And I knew they would only be happy together. I loved him so much, I let him go, and let the tears trickle down my pink swollen cheeks, as his back receded down the math hallway, and my heart broke for love.

The next day, I put on so much makeup, I was wearing a mask. A mask, I felt, I would not take off for a while.

My best friend was ecstatic, though she could not look me in the eyes, her emotions bubbling out of her. I raised her eyes to mine, and hugged her. Pained, she stared at me. I told her not to worry, and plastered a smile, over my throbbing heart.

Now,

When he calls me, I smile.

When we go shopping, I laugh.

When we all hang out together, I play.

But when asked if I still love him, I take out the heart shaped pendant he first gave me, lay it lovingly on the knotted stump, and sobbed silently, to myself.

so_joyThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Wow! Great job! Please read, rate, and comment on my work! Thanks!

natty5 said...
Very well written!!