The Mirror | Teen Ink

The Mirror

October 25, 2011
By KatieScarlett BRONZE, Audubon, Iowa
KatieScarlett BRONZE, Audubon, Iowa
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
I don't care if you have nine eyes or four arms I'll still be your friend!


Sometimes its hard watching people look at themselves reflected through me. They can only see their outer core and not the good buried deep inside. I especially hate seeing little Susie’s pain as she compares herself to movie stars, wondering why she can’t be gorgeous like them. I wish I could tell her that beauty isn’t skin deep, but the look on her face tells me she will never listen. Will she ever triumph?

Today she is pulling at my heartstrings! I want to look away but alas, I cannot. After watching for what seemed like hours trying to make herself pretty, she is now staring dejectedly at her reflection, the picture of Jane Russell a reminder of her failure. She looks so desolate and hopeless that I feel no one can help her. But as I continue to stare, an obstinate determination fills her eyes. Could she have finally found inner strength to do away with her obsession with the fake movie stars and accept herself as beautiful, inside and out? My heart quickens as she steps towards me with her fist raised.


The author's comments:
Norman Rockwell's painting, "Girl at the Mirror"