Night Runner | Teen Ink

Night Runner

October 19, 2011
By KatieSaysRAWR BRONZE, Guelph, Other
KatieSaysRAWR BRONZE, Guelph, Other
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
Haters Make Me Stronger.


I heard the steady thud of my sneakers as i ran on the rain drenched sidewalk. I had no idea where i was going, but i knew i was going away... I squinted my eyes to sheild the rain pelting down from above. Cars drove by, looking at me. They probally all thought "What is a 13 year old girl doing, runnin at midnight?". I zipped up my sweater and pulled down my hat. It was really cold and windy out. i looked at the ground and noticed my shoe was un-done. I stopped and bent down to do it up. I tied it up and stood up again. I started at a light jog, looking at the cars to see if one of them belonged to my dad. Then I saw a familiar beaten up pickup truck. I checd the licencd plate, and the numbers matched up. It was my dad. What was I going to do? Run. I started to sprint but he sped after me. He was a drunk and I hated him for that. He saw me and started cursing and demanded me to get in.

So now i'm in the back seat of my dad's truck that smells of booze and cigarette. He light up a smoke and took a sip of some whiskey in a bottle in the cup holder. He drove home and when i clmbed out of the truck, he yelled and swung at me. I dashed into our tiny semi- house. I stood at the foot of the staircase and he stumbled in and slammed the door behind him. Then he came at me and kicked me in the hip and punched my ribs. Pain jolted through my whole body. I ran up into my room in tears.

I wake up to my dad pulling my hair. I sit up and look away, then look at him. I say "You need to stop doing that... it hurts".

He smacked me in the face and said "You want pain? I'll give you pain." then walked out of my room.

I crawled out of my bed and closed the door. I rubbed the sleep out of my eyes and walked over to my dreser. I looked at my cheek. A big red spot from his hand. Then I took off my shirt and saw bruises on my ribs and some on my arms from other times he had hurt me. I grabbed my brush and ran it through my brown, straight hair until it was smooth. I put on some mascara and foundation to hide the red mark. I had such a plain face, a barbie doll face as my friends say, so I guess I was pretty. I was skinny and a little bit taller than your "average" 13 year old. Next, I slipped on a pair of black skinny jeans and red tank top, then some green and black gloves. I put on some socks and put on my green converse. I grabbed my bag and a few bucks for lunch and I was on my way to school.

Then I decided... I needed to run away...